1st brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim1970

Reaction score
I am doing my first brew tonight. I am doing a German alt ale recipe. (I know I probably should have started with something simpler)

Anyway after steeping the grains, and bringing back to a boil then adding 6 lbs of extract, the wort is just doing a gentle boil. There is no sign of even wanting to boil over. Very little foam on top. Is this normal? I am boiling with about 3 gallons of water.

Thanks

Tim

Sorry you didn't get any replies sooner. So, how did the rest of the boil go, anything happen when you added the hops (if you didn't use pre hopped extract)? You don't really need it to happen with extract, already happened when they were making it, but you usually do get a bit of a hot break. I wouldn't worry about it as long as everything else went smoothly.

The brew seemed to go well. The brew supply shop told me that I didn't need a hop sock so I had trouble getting the wort into the fermenter without all the additional stuff. Next time I think I wil use a sock.

One other question...

Is the smell while boiling anything close to what the finished product will be like? When I was steeping the grains, it had a nice smell, but as I started boiling it was a pretty bad smell filling up the house.

I love the smell of a good wort cooking! yeah and like Orfy said most struggle with stove top boils. Invest in an outside burner and you and SWMBO will thank you for it. :)

Back