1st brew tastes watered down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoes

Reaction score
its the AHB pumpkin kit. I boiled pumpkin in a differant pot then the wort in some water, when it was done i put both the pumpkin and wort into the fermentor and continued to top off with regular water. It sat in the fermentor for about 5 weeks and have been sitting in bottles for 2. Can anyone please explained what went wrong...

did you take a gravity reading? What was your starting gravity, final gravity, the temp you fermented at, recipe, and yeast you used....We can't help you unless you tell us something more

SG 1.057...calls for 1.055
FG 1.012...calls for the same

Ferment Temp 65-70

Yeast was Windsor Ale Dry

Recipe was AHS Pumpkin Ale Extract Kit

My very first batch was diluted with too much water and tastes watered down. Al I can say is double check the amount of water used.

My Porter is more like a light Amber. Funny thing is - people love it! I hate it.

SG 1.057...calls for 1.055
FG 1.012...calls for the same

Ferment Temp 65-70

Yeast was Windsor Ale Dry

Recipe was AHS Pumpkin Ale Extract Kit

It probably just needs to age longer, I've had beers where the numbers were right but that taste way off after done fermenting. Aged it a bit, then bottled it, and it tasted great! Just give it time.

How well is it carbonated?
Under carbonated? Over carbonated?
That can change the mouthfeel...

its carbed, might not be enough. Im going to try one tomorrow which will be 3 weeks in bottles and report back

i always let them sit 21 days before messing with them. Doing the same will save you some heartache in the longrun

+1 for letting it bottle age longer

My first batch i had tried it after 2 weeks and it tasted of elephant piss. I then left town and tried it after another three weeks and my first homebrew was glorious! :ban: So i practice letting all of my beers bottle condition for at least 4 weeks and if it does not taste as expected i let sit for a couple more and i generaly works its way through. Also i dont recall how much you DME you used but i always use at least 7lbs or spice up a light recipe with steeping some specialty grains or a partiel mash. However this will tend to give you a higher alcohol but thats my preference. :drunk:

Good luck on this and future batches :mug:

Back