1st Brew in the carboy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamnw

Reaction score
It seems I have fermentation!
There is about 1/4 in of krausen on top.
I am storing it in a dark area which stays aroun 62*F, and I have it covered.

The kit said the OG would be between: 1.045 - 1.049
If I read it right: @60*F , OG= 1.056

It smelled like a good Hefe, and tasted really sweet. I am optimistic this will turn out good.

Some things I learned.

I rehydrated my yeast before pitching. I used about 2 cups of water at 105*F, I didn't time it well, so it ended up in there for about an hour.
I lost some of the yeast because it had settled to the bottom of the container and didn't go down the funnel. Lesson learned.
Stir it up next time?

I boiled 3 gal in an 8 gal pot, and still got a boil-over! My buddy just laughed, because I was a little overconfident that it would not.
I was amazed at how quickly it foamed up. It boiled about a half-cup of wort out before I could stop it.

I had purchased a funnel with a built in filter for pouring into the carboy. Not a good idea. It kept getting clogged from the hops, so I eventually just has to pull the filter out.
The 8 inch funnel works great, sits down in the carboy really nice and didn't move.

The output hose of my chiller got too hot this time, and started getting very soft and kinked. Used a cheap garden hose. I may change that out to something a little more heat resistant.

Back