1st Brew Day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nevercominhome

Reaction score
I've just wrapped up my first brew day! :mug:
However I do have just a couple questions...at least for right now. First, it seems the rubber stopper in the carboy is fairly loose? Not sure if it is supposed to be that way or not and secondly, what's the best way to clean the reusable mesh bags used for the hops, etc.?

I think the carboy bung seems loose if you try to insert it wet. Just wait until it's dry (or dry it with a clean paper towel) and then stick it in. If you put a wet stopper into a wet carboy, it doesn't want to seem to seal very well.

As far as the mesh bags, I rinse them out well and either put them in the top rack (inside out) of the dishwasher, or the laundry. Hang it to dry.

Congrats on the first brew!:mug:

YooperBrew said:
I think the carboy bung seems loose if you try to insert it wet. Just wait until it's dry (or dry it with a clean paper towel) and then stick it in. If you put a wet stopper into a wet carboy, it doesn't want to seem to seal very well.

As far as the mesh bags, I rinse them out well and either put them in the top rack (inside out) of the dishwasher, or the laundry. Hang it to dry.

Congrats on the first brew!:mug:

congrats....and what yoop said

Thanks for the advice...I dried the bung and it worked like a charm! Also appreciate the heads up on the bags. Man I love this forum.:)

Back