1st attempt for double ipa recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lincolnubrewer

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first attempt in creating a double ipa recipe. My plan is to make 6 gal batch with splitting into two 3 gal for enough room for fermentation. Then at the end 2ndary drop hop schedule to merge back into 5 gallon keg. What you think about recipe and my thought process with the two 3 gal batches? This will be a 90 min boil FYI.

IIPa
Imperial IPA
All Grain (6.00 gal) ABV: 8.21 %
OG: 1.076 SG FG: 1.014 SG
IBUs: 107.7 IBUs Color: 8.1 SRM

5.71 gal Deer Park (R), Bottled Water
0.50 oz - Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate)
Mash 60 min
14 lb 13.7 oz - Pale Malt (2 Row) US
Mash addition (84.7%) - 2.0 SRM
1 lb 4.1 oz - Munich Malt - 20L
Mash addition (7.2%) - 20.0 SRM
9.1 oz - Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
Mash addition (3.3%) - 40.0 SRM
13.7 oz - Cara-Pils/Dextrine
Mash addition (4.9%) - 2.0 SRM

2.00 oz - Chinook
Boil 60 min (56.5 IBUs)
1.00 oz - Amarillo Gold
Boil 15 min (12.9 IBUs)
1.00 oz - Simcoe
Boil 15 min (14.3 IBUs)
1.00 oz - Pacific Jade
Boil 15 min (17.2 IBUs)
0.50 oz - Hbc 342
Boil 15 min (6.9 IBUs

1.00 tsp - Irish Moss
Boil 10 min

1.00 oz - Amarillo Gold
Boil 0 min (0.0 IBUs)
1.00 oz - Pacific Jade
Boil 0 min (0.0 IBUs)
1.00 oz - Simcoe
Boil 0 min (0.0 IBUs)
0.50 oz - Hbc 342
Boil 0 min (0.0 IBUs)

2 pkg - Safale American
DCL/Fermentis #US-05

1.00 oz - Simcoe
Dry Hop 7 days
1.00 oz - Pacific Jade
Dry Hop 7 days
1.00 oz - Amarillo Gold
Dry Hop 7 days
1.00 oz - Hbc 342
Dry Hop 7 days

Chinook can impart a harsh bitterness when used at 60 or 90 min. If it were my beer, I would swap it out for Warrior, Columbus, or even Nugget. But probably Warrior, because I love it.

I don't know...it's hard to describe, just not a smooth bitterness. It's got an unpleasant bite. I would swap it out for Warrior and add the Chinook later, at flameout.

I would also cut the munich, carapils, and C40 back to half a pound each. I find that with a DIPA you want the hops to plow through everything. You don't want too much sweetness or maltiness to get in the way.

I change the chinook to 1oz fwh and 0.75 oz chinook at60 min. My grain profile can't be adjusted as I already brought the grain at my lhbs yesterday. Plan on brewing sat or sun pending the weather. Any suggestion on the hop profile for the bittering. I think I still will go with chinook for bittering.

two micro brew buddies of mine put 5% carapils in everything they brew outside of certain batches they replace it with f.aked barley. they find it gives nice head retention for your hops without affecting the malt flavor or SRM. he bumps it up to about 8% for his ryed piper

You really need that FG closer to 1.010. I'd get rid of most if not all of that carapils and cut back on the crystal. If you want head retention add some wheat.

Edit- I just saw that you can't change your grains. You need this thing to attenuate really well. Mash low at 148-149 for 90 mins if you can't adjust your grainbill.

Today was brew day. I got total of 6.5 gallon with OG @ 1.067. Beer smith predicted 6gallons with OG @1.076. Mashed in at 147-148. Boiled for 1.5 hours. Split into 2 batches with safale 05. I was wondering why I didn't hit the beer smith predicted OG?

I thought that why but I just wanted to ask. I'm trying to figure my equipment plus it was windy that might had factor in. So a longer boil would had reach my OG?

possibly. a lot of factors could have been in play. just take good notes and modify as necessary. all sorts of things happen. we mash longer or shorter, collect too much too little wort, boil longer on accident, mash too low or too high, but sometimes this turns out good. so take notes and change steps and procedures as needed next time. maybe the lower gravity ends up being better who knows. Ive accidently added too much grain here and there or pitched the wrong yeast and ended up with surprising results. Better you have gravity issues now than after the fermentation :D

Hi all,

This is my first attempt in creating a double ipa recipe. My plan is to make 6 gal batch with splitting into two 3 gal for enough room for fermentation. Then at the end 2ndary drop hop schedule to merge back into 5 gallon keg. What you think about recipe and my thought process with the two 3 gal batches? This will be a 90 min boil FYI.

IIPa
Imperial IPA
All Grain (6.00 gal) ABV: 8.21 %
OG: 1.076 SG FG: 1.014 SG
IBUs: 107.7 IBUs Color: 8.1 SRM

5.71 gal Deer Park (R), Bottled Water
0.50 oz - Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate)
Mash 60 min
14 lb 13.7 oz - Pale Malt (2 Row) US
Mash addition (84.7%) - 2.0 SRM
1 lb 4.1 oz - Munich Malt - 20L
Mash addition (7.2%) - 20.0 SRM
9.1 oz - Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
Mash addition (3.3%) - 40.0 SRM
13.7 oz - Cara-Pils/Dextrine
Mash addition (4.9%) - 2.0 SRM

2.00 oz - Chinook
Boil 60 min (56.5 IBUs)
1.00 oz - Amarillo Gold
Boil 15 min (12.9 IBUs)
1.00 oz - Simcoe
Boil 15 min (14.3 IBUs)
1.00 oz - Pacific Jade
Boil 15 min (17.2 IBUs)
0.50 oz - Hbc 342
Boil 15 min (6.9 IBUs

1.00 tsp - Irish Moss
Boil 10 min

1.00 oz - Amarillo Gold
Boil 0 min (0.0 IBUs)
1.00 oz - Pacific Jade
Boil 0 min (0.0 IBUs)
1.00 oz - Simcoe
Boil 0 min (0.0 IBUs)
0.50 oz - Hbc 342
Boil 0 min (0.0 IBUs)

2 pkg - Safale American
DCL/Fermentis #US-05

1.00 oz - Simcoe
Dry Hop 7 days
1.00 oz - Pacific Jade
Dry Hop 7 days
1.00 oz - Amarillo Gold
Dry Hop 7 days
1.00 oz - Hbc 342
Dry Hop 7 days
Wow actually this is a very balanced well made recipe let me know how is comes out. You water modifications are not bad either try Barton. On trents and wheat is amazing 4 head retition BTW

chrisonye1 said:
Wow actually this is a very balanced well made recipe let me know how is comes out. You water modifications are not bad either try Barton. On trents and wheat is amazing 4 head retition BTW

Thanks!!! I will definitely let you know how the beer comes out. Primary fermentation is still going strong. Smells great so far, hoping to dry hop sometime this weekend pending fermentation. I did make last minute hop profile modification. I change the chinook to fwh 1oz, 60 min 0.5 oz, and 15min 0.5 oz. to reduce overpowering bitterness that people describe. I haven't use chinook before so I figure to start out low then adjust accordingly. Are you talking about Barton water profile? I haven't master the water profile yet. Still trying master my equipment and technique. Under a year in all grain but getting better each time.

keep me posted im developing an ipa myself from a pale ale mistake i made using centennials. ive learned that wlp dry english yeast is amazing for hop profile and good flocc for a clean clear beer. the pale is a recipe from my grandmas aunt and reads like a pirate treasure map asking for ingredients like 25cents of sugar and 20 minute boils. the best part is it ends with "ready to drink when yeast is done working." accordong to grandma carbonation is for baby beer. she is Norwegian and after having some Dark Force she isnt kidding. just found out she used cascades and not centennials and have another batch in the ferm. hopeing to showcase it on here once i have it all figured out.

Update:
Transfer beer to secondary. Taste sample and very hoppy but finishes dry but have lingering hop flavor in my mouth.Dry hopped for 10 days. Aroma smells great. Final gravity at 1.008. ABV 7.8% Kegged beer two days ago. First drink and first impression tonight is aroma is citrusy. Hop up front and finish off smooth, easy drinking, and no alcohol burn. Good first double ipa recipe.

Here is the pic of my beer

image-1239978403.jpg

Latest posts

Back