1st And 2nd Batches Of Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLTF

Reaction score
Hi everyone!Im very new at this so please be gentle.I followed Mr. Worts recipe to a T but I have a 6gal carboy so I added 4 cans of frozen concentrate to the mix and another cup of dextrose.Did I screw up?It sure looks good!Oh and my 1st batch its only been on for a week.Ive never even tried this drink before,saw it on this site and saw how simple it was to make.After I got the first batch on I just knew I would like it.I just hope the 6 gal batch works out.

Well I put my 1st batch on 1/26 and the 2nd on 1/30 both were working real well,but the airlock activity has slowed alot compared to the 1st wk.Now theres alot of small bubbles on top of the juice is that the norm?Once the airlock activity stops and I get an sg of .099 I just leave it set till it clears?Sorry if these are dumb ?s,just want to make sure it comes out.As far as clearing,should u really be able to read the paper thru the carboy?Anything u can tell me would be appreciated, thanks.

Apfelwein isn't considered to be a pleasant drink by most people until it has had time to age. Therefore leaving it in the carboy until it's clear enough to read a newspaper through is beneficial IF you don't have another use for the carboy... I use my carboys fairly often so I can't wait 2 months for the damn stuff to clear, I just bottle it and let it clear in the bottle.

The activity in my airlock has almost come to a halt on both of these batches already.Is that normal?

Back