1st all grain too- with pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sweet, set up how long did it take you to build that manifold? and how come you went with the 10 gal cooler instead of a 5? i just purchased a 5 gallon round cooler today i almost snagged the 10 gal but it seemd to large for a 5 gallon batch. are you planning on moving up to 10 gallon batches?

i might take my 5 gallon back and get the 10 gallon it seemed fairly cheap 40$ i beleve is what was on the price tag at HD. im currently using a red victory from walmart with SS braid i want something a little more sturdy thats why im thinking of a perforated falsebottom or the slotted copper manifold.

you picked that scale up from target for 29$? i just got a very low end scale ($4) from walmart! i really wanted a digital but they didnt have any lol

blefferd said:
sweet, set up how long did it take you to build that manifold? and how come you went with the 10 gal cooler instead of a 5? i just purchased a 5 gallon round cooler today i almost snagged the 10 gal but it seemd to large for a 5 gallon batch. are you planning on moving up to 10 gallon batches?

You'll only be able to mash about 13lbs max (w/o mashout) in a 5 gal cooler. That limits you to under 1.060 O.G. or thereabouts. If you're planning on doing big beers, you'll need a 10gal + cooler.

I bought the 5 thinking I'd stick with partial mashing. Lasted 3 batches, now I want to go AG for big beers and need to buy another cooler. I'll use the 5 gal as a HLT, though.

I wish I had the foresight to get a 10 gallon cooler, but I'm making do with my 5 gallon one until I can afford a 10 gallon one.

One thing though. In your picture you show your slots in the up position. Do you sparge like that? That might explain part of your stuck sparge/and/or lack of clearing when sparging.

I just built a FlyGuy® MLT tonight. I had to go to 5 different Home Depots/Lowes to find the right sized connectors. I'm still looking for 5/8 stainless steel washers. I may have to settle with rubber.

The ball valve I was able to find hours ago is an American Valve M100-3/8 . 1/2 and 3/4 are the most common, I found out. Here's a link to one online if you run into issues.

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52-306-ball-valves/ipt-brass-ball-valve-612321.aspx?CAWELAID=42491027

Hope this helps. I'll post pics of mine once I complete it.

Congrats! Welcome to the club. The All Grain Club!

I love this picture.

attachment.php

I add my grain to to the hot water though, stirring as I add it. Great pic!

Back