1st All Grain Recipe Any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHunk

Reaction score
Started with Geary's Pale Ale from Clone Brews and then made some adjustments. Shooting for a northern English Brown Ale.

8 lb British 2 row Pale Malt
1 lb Victory malt
8.0 oz crystal 60
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt
2.0 oz Cascade [5.0 %] (60 min)
.5 oz US Goldings [4.9 %] (15 min)
.5 oz US Goldings [4.9 %] (flame out)
1 tsp Irish Moss (flame out)
SafAle-04

It looks really good as far as I can tell. Northern Browns are supposed to have low to no hop character, so you could probably get away with nixing that flame out addition.

Thx phenry. I'm not a hop guy by any means so I will probably drop it.

Looks good to me. I especially like the judicious use of Victory malt, which is all kinds of awesome.

Looks good to me. I especially like the judicious use of Victory malt, which is all kinds of awesome.

^2nd the Victory Malt. I love that stuff and included it in my first recipe I wrote because it sounded cool and sounded like a good addition.

Thx All. I do dig that nutty-biscuity flavor that Victory imparts.

The first time around I guess I wasn't really paying attention because I missed this but I'm not crazy about Cascade as a bittering hop. Not that it would be bad, but if go that route I prefer Centennial. Plus, with it's higher AA% you could probably get away with an ounce as opposed to two.

Thanks for the thoughts on the hops but I am out of fuggles right now so I was brewing with what I had on hand.

Back