1st all grain question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
I want to make an oat meal porter, what's the difficulty level of this for a first all grain brew? What's the fermentation time? Does it need a second stage?

It shouldn't be any more difficult than any standard all grain beer. Same for fermentation. Just go 3-4 weeks ferment, 3 weeks bottle/keg and you should be good to go. Porter is actually a good first beer to brew - it is a little more forgiving of blemishes.

This question is kinda general but...
Depending on the recipe that you are talking about, this is a fairly standard AG recipe. Not really a whole lot more things to do than any other. Fermentation will depend on you. In most cases should be done by the first 14 days and no for the recipes that I am familiar with it does not need a secondary but then again very few beers really do aside from adding things such as oak/bourbon or dry hopping, but I've dry hopped in primary with great success... good luck.

I don't have a specific recipe, but I've done oatmeal stouts - almost the same. I use 1 lb of flaked oats and for a porter you'll want a fair amount of crystal and chocolate in addition to the base grain. You can add the oats straight to the mash for the sacch. rest with the others. I've had trouble with head retention using oats though, but some of that may be due to under carbing....but the last few beers I've done I've added 3-4 oz of malted wheat and the foam structure has been much better.

Also depending on your mash tun, you may want to use some rice hulls with oats...though 1 lb isn't really that much to cause a stuck sparge.

Back