1st all grain brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Like the title says I'm doing my first all grain this weekend . Just purchased the Grainfather. It is a recipe I found called blind Bill double chocolate milk stout. Not sure how its gonna taste but it has great reviews. If any of you have done this I'm curious .

10Lb Maris otter pale
1Lb flaked oats
1Lb Briess choc malt
1Lb British crystal 80
8oz roasted barley
1Lb lactose
Mount hood & fuggle hops
S-04 yeast
3 oz cocoa nibs , soaked in vodka
Vanilla beans
Chocolate extract

Update on my first all grain . I used my new GF . I had all my ingredients ready and set out . I double and triple checked my amount of mash and sparge water needed. Had my daughters and boyfriend helping since they like beer and where curious. The GF held the mash temp extremely well I must say . Did my mash at 154* 60 min then 169* 10 min. Sparged at 170*. Added my lactose at start of the boil which took the GF a bit to reach. Not too long but longer then I thought it would . I'm a believer in the hop spider , thing is awesome . Now here's where I need to do a little work. The counterflow WC is really neat but didn't work as fast as I'd like . When I transfered to fermenter it was 90 *. I started late so it was 11pm and wort was only down to 84 so I decided to wait till this morning to pitch . I was so excited to see it at 70* so I pitched and while I was pitching I realized I didn't get a SG , dang it . So I took a reading before I really mixed it up good . Got a reading of 58. Not sure its very accurate . Btw all my water #'s were on the money I didn't have to add any water to the wort to reach 5.5 gal. It was a tad under maybe 2 pints but pretty dang close. So as a whole I had fun sharing the experience with the kids and cant wait to taste it .

Oh shoot lol , now that's funny ! Yeah I meant my Grainfather . No girlfriend here been married for 23 yrs .

Update on my choc milk stout . Got the nitro blend balanced really good . Have a good cascade for a solid min or so. This beer is fantastic. I've had multiple people tell me it's better then the one at the local brewery . Great creaminess, flavor . Wish I would have had the vanilla beans in as long as the cacao nibs . Over all very happy
20181120_145154.jpg

Update on my choc milk stout . Got the nitro blend balanced really good . Have a good cascade for a solid min or so. This beer is fantastic. I've had multiple people tell me it's better then the one at the local brewery . Great creaminess, flavor . Wish I would have had the vanilla beans in as long as the cacao nibs . Over all very happy
View attachment 598806
Looks delicious!

Back