1st all grain, my OG was off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerpunk5000

Reaction score
so I was making a hazy pale ale for my first all grain, I bought a brewers edge mash and boil

the pump got clogged so I could not use it, I stired it a bunch and spraged it with the wort

I was suppose to have a OG of 1.063

I got a OG of 1.044 .. I did forget to add the .5lbs of table sugar

and I did add . 5 gallons of water to get ot to 5.5

here is the gran bill

9.1 lbs 2 row

1.6 malted oats

1.6 flaked oats

.5 lbs sugar

im scared I messed up my 1st all grain, would adding the .5 lbs sugar after boil raise OG?

Adding sugar would indeed raise the effective OG - even if you added it post-pitch.

Your original recipe at 5.5 gallons to the fermenter would have been 1.059 without the half pound of sugar.
At an actual OG of 1.044, adding the sugar would bring the 5.5 gallons up to 1.048.
That's a reasonable OG for a pale ale...

Cheers!

Didn't mess up it, just going to be a lower gravity brew. Had the same thing happen to me this past weekend....the crush on my grain was TERRIBLE but couldn't do anything about it considering I'm an early morning brewer (I have three kids, an almost 4 y.o. and infant twins). I missed my OG by 8 points.

In the words of the home brewing godfather Charlie P, Relax, Don't Worry, Have a homebrew! :mug:

It takes practice to figure out ur efficiency. As for now, keep some dme on hand to raise of if need be, and dont forget to adjust ur hydrometer reading for temp. I made that mistake plenty of times...

Back