1st AG - Finished about 1:30am....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motobrewer

I'm no atheist scientist, but...
Reaction score
So, wendesday night "on a whim" brewing is NOT exactly how I planned on starting all-grain, but it seemed to have went ok....

So Tuesday, while at Gander getting a hunting license, I saw a 5-gallon Rubbermaid for $25, so I grabbed it. My plan was to do partial-mashes. Me and the wife had been talking about throwing a new years eve party, and I wanted another beer to serve for that. Sitting at work, I was thinking that since I'm going to be gone all next week, the earliest I could brew would be the 28th. Might not be ready. So I decided to go to the brew store and whip one up that night, and I decided to tone it down gravity-wise in order to drink it by dec 31. "well, if i tone it down to 50, then I might be able to get away with all-grain...". Doughed in at 8:30. Fell into bed at 1:30am....

Anyway, here's my process. I know I did a lot of stupid things along the way, but please point out the stupidest.

6.00 lb Pale 2-Row
2.50 lb Munich 10L
0.50 lb Caramel 40L
0.50 lb Black Patent
0.50 lb Chocolate

1.50 oz Goldings (60) -Wanted East Kent, HBS only had US.
0.50 oz Williamette (40)
0.50 oz Williamette (15)
Irish moss + Wyeast nutrient
WL001, double-pitched

Target OG was 1.048 for 5.5 gallons, I bought a lb of Briess Golden Light DME to bump it up to 1.050 once I knew the mash gravity.

Preheated mash tun. Brought 13.75 quarts of water to 167F. Put grains in a grain bag (had no time to construct a false bottom), and doughed in. Mash settled at 154F, target 155F. After 30 minutes I checked the temp, 149F. Wanted to step to 158, so beersmith told me to add 2 quarts of 212F. I did, only settled back to 155F. Oh well, nbd. Let rest for another 30 min.

While I was mashing, I was trying to figure out how I was going to heat my 3.5 gallons of sparge. I only have one 8 gallon kettle. Nothing in the kitchen was bigger than 1.5 gal, not that my stove could get remotely close anyway. So i decided to use my newly bought fermentation bucket (my primary is full) to hold the 1st runnings while I heated my sparge in the boil kettle.

Mash was done (I'm guessing, didn't have any iodine or idophor) so I recirculated a few times. The "stock" faucet on those coolers is very annoying, I can't wait to convert to a false bottom with valve. Well, I got a stuck sparge almost immediately. So I lifted the grain bag and "set" it on top the liquid. I should have recirculated again, but didn't. Drained about 2.5 gallons off the 1st runnings, gravity of 1.060. Added 3.5 gal of 180F sparge water, let rest for 15.

This is where things got a little stupid. I didn't have a quiet way of getting the mash in the kettle. no canes or hose sanitized. So, yes, I poured. Worried about hot side aeration, but oh well. 2nd runnings went the same as the first, except eventually I just took the grain bag out and dumped the whole thing in. I took a reading, can't seem to find it...

Preboil was 1.042 w / 5.5 gallons, target was 1.048. 65% efficiency. I'll take that, being my first, in a 5-gallon cooler, with a giant grain bag. This also meant i needed the entire pound of dme to get to 1.050, which I did, and it hit exactly.

Rest of the boil went as normal, except I added the 40-min Williamette at 25. From dough-in to oxyclean was 5 hours exactly.

I tasted the pre-fermentor hydrometer reading, and it was damn close to the Sierra Nevada porter (this was a bit of a clone) i was drinking right next to it. so, i'm kind of excited.

Im not any expert but it sounds like you did damn fine with the last minute prep. Im sure the half-ass MLT didnt help much. Maybe someone else can chime in here too but that 158 sparge temps seem a little high. Whatever, it will be beer!!!

This is where things got a little stupid. I didn't have a quiet way of getting the mash in the kettle. no canes or hose sanitized.

I don't think it matters whether the cane or hose was sanitized, you could have used it. Think about it, you siphon through it and then boil that stuff for 60 minutes...anything bad you could have picked up would be thoroughly cleaned.

Other than that headache, looks like you did well.

I don't think it matters whether the cane or hose was sanitized, you could have used it. Think about it, you siphon through it and then boil that stuff for 60 minutes...anything bad you could have picked up would be thoroughly cleaned.

Other than that headache, looks like you did well.

yeah....what the h*ll was i thinking? i mean...i racked into an un-sanitized bucket...

logic has no place in midnight brew sessions....

sparge temp - I was emulating this:
http://***********/stories/techniqu...artial-mashing/511-countertop-partial-mashing

So I did what he told me to.

thanks for your replies guys!

Well, I never hit 158. I started at 155, dropped to 149 after 30 min, brought it back to 155, and left it there.

Then I sparged with 180F water

yeah....what the h*ll was i thinking? i mean...i racked into an un-sanitized bucket...

logic has no place in midnight brew sessions....

Haha, I didn't even think about bucket part. BTW, I wasn't at all implying that you were dumb or anything, I completely understand that it probably made sense late at night lol. I've done similar things. As Dane Cook says, "It sounded good at the time."

oh, no worries, I honestly didn't even think of that until i read your post.
:drunk:

silly thing for me to have worried about. but, I guess that's what experience is.....this was my 3rd batch....

I haven't even tasted my first yet, lol.....

Is hot-side aeration an issue before the boil? I've been collecting my first and second runnings in separate buckets so that I know the volume of each so that when I pour them both together in the kettle I know how much volume I've got. Aside from getting a sightglass, should I be racking from these buckets to the kettle?

Sounds like a successful first AG experience. 5 hours for the first run through is pretty nice. It took me a few tries to get it under 6.

Falling into bed after a successful AG brewday is always nice and relaxing. :)

Falling into bed after a successful AG brewday is always nice and relaxing. :)

haha, not really....alarm went off at 5:30 for work, not to mention my 3-week-old was keeping us up during those precious 4 hours of sleep....

but, it was fun. and it should be good for new years.

Is hot-side aeration an issue before the boil? I've been collecting my first and second runnings in separate buckets so that I know the volume of each so that when I pour them both together in the kettle I know how much volume I've got. Aside from getting a sightglass, should I be racking from these buckets to the kettle?

Yes, although on a homebrew scale you really have to aerate it to notice a big difference. BasicBrewing did a good show about hot side aeration where they did an experiment and side-by-side tasting; I would highly recommend a listen.

So far as the volumes go, don't you have a way to measure volume in the kettle? If I am doing a double sparge, I will just sparge straight into my BK, look at the volume after the first runnings, and then sparge the remaining target volume into the same vessel. The difference between the first and second volume measurements should (and does) equal my second sparge volume.

seems like lots of people here think hot-side aeration is a myth. so absolutely no worries there. from here is looks like you did a pretty great job. plus now you know what to pay attention to next time (each brew is a learning experience, imo).

i vote thumbs up. great job!

Back