1st AG brew propane question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydog2314

Reaction score
So I'm getting ready for my first AG batch and I was going electric but due to time/budget constraints I'm going to go with the old turkey fryer/propane burner, its not a suped up burner just a regular everyday burner that I am borrowing...so how much propane should I factor in for a 5 gallon brew? Just trying to prepare so I don't run out in the middle of the brew

Thanks!

I get a couple brews out of one 20# cylinder on my 10 gallon batchs in a keggle. But that's just for the boil.

I use a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer pot/burner set up for 5 gallon batches. I just emptied a cylinder last weekend I had used for brewing only. The last batch had some extra use as it was all grain so also used burner for heating mash/sparge water. Checked my records, I got five (5) 60 minute boils out of the one standard cylinder. Am sure results vary from set up to set up.

I use the fryer also, and 5 gallon batches. I got two extract and three biab batches out of a 20# tank. It feels light enough that I am not risking another go without a fill up.

I use the Blichmann burner for 5 gallon batches (10g BK) and usually get 3-4 brew sessions from a tank. That also includes heating my mash water and 60-90 minute boils. I usually don't push it until the tank runs dry but I keep a second tank handy just in case.

My 60,000 BTU burner does about 3 complete 11 gallon brews in a keg setup- including heating mash, sparge water and boil. However, the third time is cutting it really close. I brew outside and found that on a windy day, I use twice as much propane.

great info thanks. i was thinking i would 2 tanks. i'll have one for sure and see if i can get a 2nd just in case but doesnt look like i'll need it. i only plan on doing 2-3 batches on propane in the next few weeks.

great info thanks. i was thinking i would 2 tanks. i'll have one for sure and see if i can get a 2nd just in case but doesnt look like i'll need it. i only plan on doing 2-3 batches on propane in the next few weeks.

That's what I do. Two tanks. When one gets empty, I set it aside for refilling. The full one is good for 3, 4, maybe 5 5-gallon batches, so there isn't a big hurry. So if you have the space and don't mind having an extra few dollars tied up in propane, it's a convenient way to go.

Just emptied my 20# tank tonight after 2 months and 8 batches at 60 min each. Using a sp10 burner and keeping the flame at a minimum to hit a rolling boil

Yeah, like DogFace Brewing said, keep the flame at a minimum to hit your boil. You will get WAY less out of a tank if you just blast it. I have a banjo burner, and I burned through a 20# tank in two 5 gallon brews. It was stupid. Now that I have it dialed in, I can get 4+. Just be patient. Don't waste fuel if you don't have another tank handy.

Yeah, like DogFace Brewing said, keep the flame at a minimum to hit your boil. You will get WAY less out of a tank if you just blast it. I have a banjo burner, and I burned through a 20# tank in two 5 gallon brews. It was stupid. Now that I have it dialed in, I can get 4+. Just be patient. Don't waste fuel if you don't have another tank handy.

I have dialed in my burner where I can hit exactly boing point and keep it at the same temp +/- 1 degree for the whole 60. Took some time but worth it for the propane savings. Now it doesn't sound like a jet engine sitting idle for an hour every time i brew...neighbors appreciate it. I keep a back up tank plus I have 2 tanks for my gas grill so no matter what I have propane somewhere around if I even run out.

How long would it take to boil, say, 6.5 gallons of wort at minimum flame/BTU? I am a patient guy so I don't care if it takes over 30 minutes to boil. Not interested in fast, only GOOD!

That's where I start getting impatient, but it probably takes around a half hour give or take with that volume, then once you get the boil going I try to really dial it in so I'm not lighting money on fire.

Just as a reference point, it's typically around 20-30° here in Michigan when I brew. So I'm fighting the ambient temp the whole way, but we do manage to get the garage pretty comfortable running two 200,000btu burners. I'm interested to see how our boil times change in the summer.

I use the Blichmann burner for 5 gallon batches (10g BK) and usually get 3-4 brew sessions from a tank. That also includes heating my mash water and 60-90 minute boils. I usually don't push it until the tank runs dry but I keep a second tank handy just in case.

Love my Blichmann burner. Works much more efficiently than my cheap turkey fryer burner, more heat with less propane.

Back