1st AG batch question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatsachs

Reaction score
My first post here and my first AG batch with a couple questions. Glad to have such a great resource to turn to when in need. So can anybody tell the newb approximately how much brew he's got here in his secondary? In the heat of the moment I never measured how much wort I collected. It's a 5 gallon carboy btw. I just gotta get an approximate amount for my priming sugar measurements. FYI, the batch is a pale ale bordering on IPA. I took a reading today and found a FG of 1.006 - 1.004 and I think it's still attenuating slightly. Is this gonna end up too dry? (personal opinions I suppose) If so what can I do to bring it up a few points? I had decided to just make the all grain leap since it was either that or stop brewing for me. I did not like extract at all personally, seemed 1 dimensional, boring and impersonal to me. IMO of course. To each his own. Thanks fellas!

my first all grain2.jpg

Does your bottle bucket have measurements on it?

If so just rack to it and measure. Cover the bucket. Make your primer. Add it to the bucket once it's cooled some and stir VERY gently to mix.

I would say you have right around four gallons which for that type would be about 3.6oz of cane or 3.8oz of dextrose. Here is the calculator I used for a very similar beer with the same yield basically as yours.http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html The OG on mine was 1.051 and FG was 1.011

How long has this been sitting? By the looks of it I would let that sit a little longer. It should clear. I let mine sit for 14 days and bottled on Monday. Mine was clear. Did you use whirlfloc or irish moss?

It's actually lighter than it appears in the pic but the pic was also taken immediately after being racked to secondary and dry hopped. It's fresh out of primary (7 days) and I did not use an clarifiers of any kind (another newb moment) though it will sit another week and a half before bottling. Tastes pretty good right now even as "green" as it is. Thankfully I've taken good notes on every aspect and my second batch will go a lot smoother and be even better. I was thinking around 4 - 4.5 gallons is there (next time I'll measure) but my bottling bucket does have measurements on it as Totemwolf mentioned so...

Latest posts

Back