1933 Popular Science article on Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Beere

Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Downloaded these awhile back somewhere - forget where. Anyways, pretty interesting article on "high-tech" brewing back in the day...

xlg_beer_making_0_Jun3_1933.jpg

xlg_beer_making_1_June_1933.jpg

They sure did suck the romance out of that process.

Enameled steel fermenters, eh? I wonder why this isn't used any longer. Surely, it would be cheaper than SS or copper. Maybe enamel is more porous than I assumed it to be.

"Hops are added...to counteract sweetness of malt...and to give beer it's characteristic flavor." hmmm...well, that's not quite the whole story now, is it. Or, at least, it could be put much better.

Also, that is one bigass hop strainer!

Thanks for the post John. very interesting.

Sterilizing Filter?

Pasteurizer?

....the horror....

.....the horror....

I'm not surprised. This is coming from the same generation that brought us bleached flour, white eggs, and well, white bread. They probably would have made beer white if they could to promote the idea of sterility and cleanliness (though it could be argued that they did just that with the piss lagers of the day).

I'm guessing this process is little changed today in the macro breweries. Its is up to the craft an home brewers to keep the simpler, craft aspect of brewing active.
Like the article mentioned this is industrial chemistry not really brewing.

Craig

They simply to imply that corn is a necessary part of the process. Here I've been doing it wrong all this time.

Back