1920's-1930's Budweiser Prohibtion Era "New Brew" Advertising Sign

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshuashua

Reaction score
This is my favorite sign in my collection and I know it is from the prohibition era, but I have not been able to find the same exact sign anywhere online, be it for sale or not. I'm curious to know an approximate value of the sign, that or, if anybody else owns the same one, and has any information they'd like to share. Thanks in advance to anybody with replys!

IMG_3164.jpg

First of all, the sign is currently worth whatever the market will bear. By the power of google, I was able to find some early ad copy of Anheuser Busch using the "New Brew" slogan for an American Porter. I'm sure if I did some more searching, I could find AB's use of the "New Brew" slogan attached to other advertising for beers different than Budweiser. You can see the difference between the eras in the text of the ad copies. The lettering and logo design on the sign are much more advanced than on the 1899 advertisement.

Now, during prohibition, AB had to diversify it's products into non-alcoholic avenues. You will find lots of signs of AB selling yeast (for baking), malt and other non-beer preparations. Thirteen years of prohibition ended in 1933 with the ratification of the 21st Amendment. When prohibition ended, AB had to reintroduce their beers to America and brought back the "New Brew" push for Budweiser. I'm guessing this sign dates from the just-post prohibition era in the mid to late 1930's.

Back