Historical Beers 1880 Whitbread Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
English Ale (Whitelabs #WLP002)
Yeast Starter
1.0 LIter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
34 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days. 66F until day 12 when raised to 72F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Tasting Notes
Roast and chocolate notes. Malt forward but only slightly sweet. Only a hint of hop bitterness. Silky smooth finish.
9 lbs Pale Malt
1 lb 12 oz Brown Malt
12 oz Black Malt (not patent)
2 oz East Kent Goldings (6.4%) boil 60 minutes

1 Liter starter using WLP002 English Ale Yeast

Mashed at 152 for 60 minutes.

My intent was to brew a traditional, English Porter as a starting point to build up a modern, robust porter. However upon first taste I don't think I want to change this recipe much if any. The recipe is one of Ron Pattinson's historic recreations based on Whitbread brewing logs.

The color is a rich, dark chocolate. The head is dark caramel brown. The aroma is roasty and coffee-like. The flavor is much the same, roasty, coffee and chocolaty. It is has a slight sweetness but not too much. There is a hint of hop bitterness but again, not too much. I think I hit the Goldilocks zone with this one. And as soon as I finished the first pint I immediately wanted another.

I've attached the Beersmith .bsmx file for anyone interested.

Attachments

• 1880 Whitbread Porter.bsmx
    20.3 KB · Views: 81
9 lbs Pale Malt
1 lb 12 oz Brown Malt
12 oz Black Malt (not patent)
2 oz East Kent Goldings (6.4%) boil 60 minutes

1 Liter starter using WLP002 English Ale Yeast

Mashed at 152 for 60 minutes.

My intent was to brew a traditional, English Porter as a starting point to build up a modern, robust porter. However upon first taste I don't think I want to change this recipe much if any. The recipe is one of Ron Pattinson's historic recreations based on Whitbread brewing logs.

The color is a rich, dark chocolate. The head is dark caramel brown. The aroma is roasty and coffee-like. The flavor is much the same, roasty, coffee and chocolaty. It is has a slight sweetness but not too much. There is a hint of hop bitterness but again, not too much. I think I hit the Goldilocks zone with this one. And as soon as I finished the first pint I immediately wanted another.

I've attached the Beersmith .bsmx file for anyone interested.

Thanks for posting this winner. I will put it on my to do brew list.

After drinking this over the past couple of days I've decided it needs something more. While it is a smooth drinker and very quaff-able I think I would like more richness in the mouthfeel. I'm going to make it again and mash higher to see what that gets me. Then if it's still not enough I will play around with the grist to see if I can make it a bit bolder.

Looks good, thanks for sharing.
Maybe there's a dash of pale crystal malt missing?
That's hat Fullers add to their excellent brown porter.

I would like to give it a go but I might have a problem accessing English black malt.
Hoever I did buy a pound of Belgian black malt from Castle brewing a few years ago.
Could I use that?

https://www.castlemalting.com/Castl...ficationID=185&CropYear=2018&Language=English

Remember that they would almost certainly have been using Chevalier malt at this time, which is available from Crisp but if you can't get it then a good English pale malt with a bit of crystal is a reasonable hack.

I do enjoy these Victorian porters, but on my to-do list is to brew the same beer twice - save a third of the first one and Brett-C it, then blend 2:1 with fresh beer from the second brew. Just Brett on its own is a bit much, but I reckon 2:1 fresh:Brett would be just about right. It might help give you the interest you're looking for, as well as being historically credible.

Remember that they would almost certainly have been using Chevalier malt at this time, which is available from Crisp but if you can't get it then a good English pale malt with a bit of crystal is a reasonable hack.

I do enjoy these Victorian porters, but on my to-do list is to brew the same beer twice - save a third of the first one and Brett-C it, then blend 2:1 with fresh beer from the second brew. Just Brett on its own is a bit much, but I reckon 2:1 fresh:Brett would be just about right. It might help give you the interest you're looking for, as well as being historically credible.
Just as a side note, have you seen that greene king has released two chevallier based ales? Waitrose has them, one is a five percent ale and the other one is stronger. I bought the five percent bottle but haven't tried it yet.

I recently tried the Greene king xxx dark mild and it was extremely good, since then i get a bit excited when I see something special from them.

Are they a second release of the Heritage ones they did a year ago? The third one was an Ernest-based one a few months ago, which is stretching the "heritage" thing a bit but is just about plausible.

Suffolk Strong notwithstanding, that kind of thing has always felt like craftwashing coming from Greene King, whereas Marstons seem to be a bit more real on that front.

You're thinking along the same lines as me. Except my plan is to age the first Brett-C beer for up to a year in oak then brew the second and mix. Goose Island recently did a limited run 19th century London Porter blended like this called Obadiah Poundage... a collaboration with Ron Pattinson and London brewer, Derick Prentice.

Are they a second release of the Heritage ones they did a year ago? The third one was an Ernest-based one a few months ago, which is stretching the "heritage" thing a bit but is just about plausible.

Suffolk Strong notwithstanding, that kind of thing has always felt like craftwashing coming from Greene King, whereas Marstons seem to be a bit more real on that front.
I don't know, I wasn't aware of them last year...

You're thinking along the same lines as me. Except my plan is to age the first Brett-C beer for up to a year in oak then brew the second and mix. Goose Island recently did a limited run 19th century London Porter blended like this called Obadiah Poundage... a collaboration with Ron Pattinson and London brewer, Derick Prentice.

Oh, I'd love to try that.

Ron has said that some of the Obadiah Poundage will be making its way to London, presumably the Goose tap in Shoreditch.

The GK beers were in Tesco last year - I seem to remember my verdict was "not bad for GK" without racing back to them, but they were periodically discounted to £3.50 for two and at that kind of price I'd buy them again if I was wanting some beer in Tesco and nothing else caught my eye.

I tried to buy some Obadiah Poundage from the Goose tap in Chicago, but it was sold out by the time I got there-- really disappointed I missed getting to try it!

Just to give a little update on the Greene King Heritage Chevallier Ale, don't bother with it, it is not good. It is carbonated like a lager, very fizzie, much too fizzie and the Chevallier does not come through. It is a bit too sweet for my liking, but for southern standards not as sweet as some others and it does not have a strong character in any way.

Upcoming brew schedule just got longer!

1. Yooper’s oatmeal stout (competition)
2. Ginger beer (based off of a 1800 recipe)
3. Mystery brown (no clue what’s in the grain bill)
4. 1880 whitbread porter (only because all the other grains have been milled already.)

I brewed the 1880 Whitbread Porter again adding 1lb of roasted barley. My first sampling came after it had been in the keg about 2 weeks and at that point it had an acrid character that I didn't care for but after conditioning for two months it is so good I don't know which of the two versions is my favorite.

The second version with the roasted barley has a mahogany colored head and the beer it darker than the first and it still has a bit of bite from the extra roasted malt but it is not nearly as pronounced as it was early on.

I've brewed Ron's 1880 Whitbread porter and fermented with S-04. It was one of my favorite beers I've done in nearly 30 years of brewing.

Latest posts

Back