18 Year Old Homebrew in Sealed Grolsch Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilgarlic

Reaction score
Just received this from a friend's attic. He quit brewing in 1994. Complete brewer's best starter kit with 5 gallon glass carboy, bucket and bottling bucket, red baron capper, hydrometer, floating thermometer, funnel, unopened OneStep, glucose, bottle caps, bottles, muslin bags, airlock, et cet, et cet, AND NINE GROLSCH BOTTLES FILLED WITH 1994 HOMEBREW, SEALS INTACT. Also, and at least as interesting, several copies of the newsletter from the "Milwaukee Beer Society" from 1994. Cool.

nice score man! people pay like 150$ for that starter kit these days. i don't think the vintage beer will be any good after years in a FL Attic. But you can get new seals and reuse the bottles!!

I expect it to taste like wet, dusty cardboard. Can't help but be curious, though!

DRINK IT!!!! There is no way you can throw it out without trying it. Nothing in it can harm you in any way. Chill it for a few days and pour it into a glass. And keep us posted!

It's Chillin'. I may hold it until 10/11 when our homebrew club competition team is meeting at my house. Interesting exercise opening, pouring, visually inspecting, sniffing and (for those so inclined) sampling a taste of an 18 year old brew.

I recently opened a 1990 2-liter growler..... my advice: Have a spit bucket and chaser close by if you taste it.
Hopefully yours will turn out better, than mine.

Three of us cracked and opened one last night. Had some fizz. By the color it was a stout or a porter. Smelled of dark fruits and sherry or cooking wine. Tasted like thin, smooth sherry. Not at all unpleasant, but nothing like beer.

A friend just gave me a bunch of bottles and some of them were still full date on bottle said 1996 so I tried one it was the most disgusting thing I have ever put in my mouth

A friend just gave me a bunch of bottles and some of them were still full date on bottle said 1996 so I tried one it was the most disgusting thing I have ever put in my mouth

So you have never eaten in a Beijing restaurant?

Back