18% dark malts to much for Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshulha

Reaction score
Hi Everyone I put 9% black malt and 9% roasted barley in a stout recipie. I also put in 13.5% flacked barley. I also plant to put some roasted cocnut in after boil is finished. Have I put too much dark malts in? or will the cocunut offset any harness.

Cheers
Chris

Yea that's a lot. I typically shoot for about 10%, with 12% being an upper limit. Although I've seen people use 15% before

Let me put it this way, 18% is more than you need IMO. Agree with saltymirv that 10-12% is typical and that makes a pretty dark beer. Bear in mind that black roasted grains have virtually no fermentable content so once you have enough color and roasty flavor why use any more?

Dark malts are for adding color and some flavor, not for actual considering in the mashing process in terms of extracting fermentables. You only need a small amount 5-10% of the grist

18% is way to much

Yea not sure what to do fix it grains milled canr go to homwbrew shop. Thats why i thought coconut would work. Any ideas?

Yea not sure what to do fix it grains milled canr go to homwbrew shop. Thats why i thought coconut would work. Any ideas?

You could buy more basemalt. It would dilute the dark malt % and give you a stronger beer

You won't taste any of the coconut with that grain bill. Try having some DME or LME and add it during the boil if you want your beer to be lighter (as in not 18% dark malts) if your beer is fermenting, i'd leave it alone and maybe add some chocolate or coffee to help the dark flavors during secondary

Well I decided to call it a foreign extra stout. I did some research and apparently that percentage of dark grains is common. I made the wrong style by Mistake. :)

Contrary opinion here. I accidentally brewed a 9% abv imperial stout small batch with 21% roasted grain. It took first place in the only comp I entered it into. Due to all that non-fermentable amount of roast malt it had a very high finishing gravity. The judges read it as a much bigger beer than it was and it was very smooth with a good fermentation so it came off well.

We really need your recipe to have an idea of what might happen and suggest fixes. Yeast strain, gravity, full specs.

Without further info given my experience above and other experience is say you're looking at a high finishing gravity and heavier mouthfeel.
Suggestion one, go with it.
Suggestion 2: add 15% of your current fermentables by weight in table sugar or honey. It'll dry the beer out a bit or at least give the perception. Suggestion 3: brew a second 5 gallon batch with 6% roast malt and blend the two.

fwiw, this is the grist for my Triple Chocolate Imperial Honey Stout.
~9% dark additions...

28 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 7 63.6 %
4 lbs Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain 8 9.1 %
2 lbs Barley, Flaked (Briess) (1.7 SRM) Grain 9 4.5 %
2 lbs Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 10 4.5 %
2 lbs Chocolate Malt (Blackswaen) (475.0 SRM) Grain 11 4.5 %
8.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 12 1.1 %
8.0 oz Black Barley (Briess) (500.0 SRM) Grain 13 1.1 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (Briess) (300.0 SRM) 1.1 %
4 lbs Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 24 9.1 %

Measured Original Gravity: 1.101 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 11.1 %
Calories: 353.7 kcal/12oz
Bitterness: 89.6 IBUs
Est Color: 48.3 SRM

I've done this recipe for almost a decade and always have it on tap.
It is sublime. A short pour around bedtime knocks me right the eff out ;)

Cheers! :mug:

ps: the rest of the 10 gallon recipe...

2.00 oz Chinook 2015 Pellet [14.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 15 36.9 IBUs
2.00 oz Chinook 2015 Pellet [14.10 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 16 33.9 IBUs
2.00 oz Cascade 2015 Pellet [7.40 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 17 11.7 IBUs
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining
2.00 oz Cascade 2015 Pellet [7.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 19 7.0 IBUs
3.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other
16.00 oz Cocoa Powder (Boil 5.0 mins) Flavor
2.0 pkg SafAle S04 English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) [23.66 ml] Yeast
16.00 oz Cacao Nibs (Secondary 2.0 weeks/marinated in dark rum to cover for a week)

Contrary opinion here. I accidentally brewed a 9% abv imperial stout small batch with 21% roasted grain. It took first place in the only comp I entered it into. Due to all that non-fermentable amount of roast malt it had a very high finishing gravity. The judges read it as a much bigger beer than it was and it was very smooth with a good fermentation so it came off well.

We really need your recipe to have an idea of what might happen and suggest fixes. Yeast strain, gravity, full specs.

Without further info given my experience above and other experience is say you're looking at a high finishing gravity and heavier mouthfeel.
Suggestion one, go with it.
Suggestion 2: add 15% of your current fermentables by weight in table sugar or honey. It'll dry the beer out a bit or at least give the perception. Suggestion 3: brew a second 5 gallon batch with 6% roast malt and blend the two.

My Recipieis as follows for a 19l batch

3.5kg 2 row pale male
.5kg Black Malt
.7kg Flacked Barley
.45 Roasted Barley
.5k Roasted cocont flakes

Irish ale yeast

The good news is you don't have any crystal malt or some such grain adding extra unfermentables raising your final gravity further. Is suspect you come out with a final gravity is 1.021 or about 5-10 gravity points higher than anticipated. Wait and see...

I went heavy on some darks with a Black IPA the other day - had first taste on Monday and it's going to be just fine

I'm pretty skeptical on all the 5% - 10% maximums I keep hearing

I firmly believe that you need a few goes at a recipe to really make it the best it can be. Sometimes you nail it on the first try, and that happens more often with experience, but more often than not the beer is better when you brew the recipe again and make adjustments based on your notes.

This is where 1 gallon brewing comes into it's own. I discovered that 10% chocolate malt in a porter is too much for my tastes, and I didn't have to drink a whole 5 gallons of average porter.

I firmly believe that you need a few goes at a recipe to really make it the best it can be. Sometimes you nail it on the first try, and that happens more often with experience, but more often than not the beer is better when you brew the recipe again and make adjustments based on your notes.

This is where 1 gallon brewing comes into it's own. I discovered that 10% chocolate malt in a porter is too much for my tastes, and I didn't have to drink a whole 5 gallons of average porter.

Anyone figure out how to bottle a 1 gallon batch without oxidizing the hell out of it yet?

Back