16.5 Gal Plastic Bucket Fermenter Opinions Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonpile

Reaction score
Would anyone care to share their experiences with this 16.5 gal plastic bucket style fermenter?

How are they for durability? Can one or two guys move it around easily? Do the handles just pull out under load or anything?

How well do they seal? I just realized the lid and sealer were extra and seeing the picture I inderstand why. Is that as good as it looks? I guess it's up to the customer to drill the lid and put in a gasket, for airlock, right?

We're doing batches in a keggle around 10+ gallons ("+" plus meaning out to as much as we can cram into a keggle given the recipe). I can't see how 10 gal in a 16.5 gal bucket would be too much headspace, would it? What's the largest practical batch size to put in this fermenter?

Thanks!

Moonpile thats how i brew;
12838-3Bucketsmall.jpg

I brew ~13.5 gallons after 3 weeks I rack ~12.5 gallons to kegs (~1 gallon trub)
I posted a recent thread on this Primary Pale Liner (BeerInBag)

I like using the 15 Gallon pale for simplicity and recommended it.

Cheers
BeerCanuck

I don't have the one you are looking at but I use some that are very similar in size/shape etc. I use them for 10 gallon batches and haven't had any problems. I get my wife to help me move it around when it's time because it can be heavy and awkward. My lid's have a 1" hole where I use a drilled stopper.

CatchinZs said:
Does this setup seal tight enough to transfer using a little CO2 pressure?

I dont use C02 to transfer, I just remove the bung after fermentaion and stick an autosiphon in to rack. You could probably push the beer with C02 but an autosiphon and gravity is simpler

Cheers
BeerCanuck

Agreed, it's the lifting part that makes it hard work.

I can't brew where I ferment so filling that bad boy and carrying it to the basement isn't going to be easy. Lifting it high enough to use gravity would be the easiest part.

CatchinZs said:
Agreed, it's the lifting part that makes it hard work.

I can't brew where I ferment so filling that bad boy and carrying it to the basement isn't going to be easy. Lifting it high enough to use gravity would be the easiest part.

I have the same problem. I brew outside but ferment in my basment. My plan to fix this in the next few months is to set up my 15 gallon stainless fermenters on a shelf in my fermenting room and when I brew I will run a hose thru the window from my cfc and into the fermenters. No more lifting anything.

Thanks for all the comments. As long as it's rigid enough when full and the handles are actually useful rather than dangerous traps waiting to pop out, I'm not too concerned about lifting or moving it. There are three of us and we're all pretty hale and hearty lads. We have to lift the keggle up onto something to drain it anyway.

What's the diameter on this bucket? We use the $8 keg tubs from WalMart to moderate and lower temperature during the summer, and I want to make sure it fits. The concern about the handles popping off comes from these as well. We long ago removed all remaining rope handles from these when we realized they didn't like to be used to lift the tub when 1/2 full of StarSan or whatever.

FSR402 said:
I have the same problem. I brew outside but ferment in my basment. My plan to fix this in the next few months is to set up my 15 gallon stainless fermenters on a shelf in my fermenting room and when I brew I will run a hose thru the window from my cfc and into the fermenters. No more lifting anything.

It's funny you mention that because I was thinking I could probably do that also but my brewing location would have to change. I guess if you want it bad enough it can be done. :mug:

CatchinZs said:
It's funny you mention that because I was thinking I could probably do that also but my brewing location would have to change. I guess if you want it bad enough it can be done. :mug:

yeah same here. Right now I brew (summer months) on my back driveway that's like 30 feet from the house. To do what I want I need to move up next to the house and I will be adding a hot water tap next to the cold one on the back of the house.

I ferment in the basement/brewroom and usually brew in the main floor kitchen.
I fill the pale half ways full after brewing and bring downstairs the other half I bring down in a better bottle and dump in bucket situated for final racking.

Works for me
BeerCanuck

FSR402 said:
yeah same here. Right now I brew (summer months) on my back driveway that's like 30 feet from the house. To do what I want I need to move up next to the house and I will be adding a hot water tap next to the cold one on the back of the house.

You probably already thought of this but I'll say it anyway.
Do yourself a favor and don't forget to put give yourself a way to shut off the water from the inside and a way to drain the line between the shutoff and the external hookup (they make a valve/bleeder combo valve). You don't want a ruptured line from those cold Michigan months.

CatchinZs said:
You probably already thought of this but I'll say it anyway.
Do yourself a favor and don't forget to put give yourself a way to shut off the water from the inside and a way to drain the line between the shutoff and the external hookup (they make a valve/bleeder combo valve). You don't want a ruptured line from those cold Michigan months.

Yup, got it covered. :rockin:

Back