15Gal. or 20Gal. Mash Tun? I've Officially Outgrown my 10Gal. Igloo Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ntwkdsnr

Reaction score
I'm on the fence about making the jump up to a 20Gal. mash tun partly because of the cost. I brew 10-12 gallon batches sometimes up to 20lbs. of grain. The mash is right up to the top of the cooler for a high gravity ale. A couple times I split the grain bill and did 2 mashes. It just makes the brew day that much longer. I have the fermenter capacity at 15 gallons, the next bottleneck is my 15 gallon BK.

damn, instead of a bigger cooler, i just started adding gluco to get the ABV up......went from 20lb's for a 6% beer to 20lb's for a 8% beer......

damn, instead of a bigger cooler, i just started adding gluco to get the ABV up......went from 20lb's for a 6% beer to 20lb's for a 8% beer......

I guess that's good, if you like whatever style of beer you're getting by adding sugar. Malt Liquor?

Stating the obvious, it's really more about sizing for the grain bill. I've done 15G batches in my 70Qt MLT but my 120Qt is nicer for those since I can mash thinner and sparge once instead of twice with the smaller one. (batch sparge) It's also handy for when I shoot for a big brew too for the same reasons.

My typical batch size is 10G and the 70Qt is the favorite, even for higher gravity brews.

I guess that's good, if you like whatever style of beer you're getting by adding sugar. Malt Liquor?
He's talking about an amylase enzyme that ferments the beer to a lower OG. So effectively you have a lower carb, higher abv beer with the same amount of grains.

He's talking about an amylase enzyme that ferments the beer to a lower OG. So effectively you have a lower carb, higher abv beer with the same amount of grains.

I thought he was talking about corn sugar (glucose) and not glucoamylase. Kind of the same effect, though. "Diet" malt liquor, maybe.

I just got a 20 gal stainless pot off amazon for $60 ish. It has a basket ,too. Should have plenty of capacity compared to the 10 gal igloo. Maybe try BIAB at some point. This thing is HUGE.

Back