15gal Blichmann or keggle for MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 30G Blichmann and it's a nice pot no doubt but over priced IMHO. I'm not sure I'd buy it again other than I'm a raccoon when it comes to shiny ****e.

I do like the louvered false bottom and it's better than the braid or false bottom I've had in the past, but it does still slow down. I haven't had a stuck mash yet, but it's been pretty slow on it. I have had quite a few stuck mashes with a SS braid/manifold I had before.

I guess the bottom line IMHO is if you buying one isn't going to mean eating Top Raman for a month then go for it. If you're deciding between a keg MLT and a grain mill vs. the Blichmann then spread your money around.

Thanks man..... a 30gal???? holy $h!t! Using it for the BK I'm assuming??

If you have the money and want shiny, the Boilermaker is for you.

If you want something cheaper and don't care if it's a bit dinged, a used keggle is the way to go. I love my keggles.

If both were the same price you would have to go Bichmann. I like the idea of the ease of cleaning since you are not dealing with the lip at the top like a keggle, and I never can get all of the grain out of the crevice between the keg side and domed top.

However, I could not justify spending the money, personally. I have a kid that will want to see Mickey in a few years, go to college, get married... you get the point.

I have a Blichmann 10g and I use it as my MLT and BK, it works fabulously for both. It is really superbly designed, and the false bottom is a work of genius. I did a pretty thick (1.25qt/lbs) mash with 2.5lbs of oats and it mashed as easy as can be.
Easy to clean, easy to use, very well made and also there is a major bling factor :)

Just be sure you figure out what size you need, my 10g isn't quite big enough for doing a thinner mash and having enough room for an additional mashout water infusion so I usually do direct heat when doing a mashout.

I'll be upgrading to a 15G sometime for use as an MLT and probably BK for my bigger (1.100+ OG) beers, my 10G will get relegated to occasional BK usage for not so big beers and for HLT usage.

Back