Quantcast

15gal Blichmann or keggle for MLT?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Paraops

Reaction score
What would you guys rather use and why?

Reaction score
I have a 30G Blichmann and it's a nice pot no doubt but over priced IMHO. I'm not sure I'd buy it again other than I'm a raccoon when it comes to shiny ****e.

I do like the louvered false bottom and it's better than the braid or false bottom I've had in the past, but it does still slow down. I haven't had a stuck mash yet, but it's been pretty slow on it. I have had quite a few stuck mashes with a SS braid/manifold I had before.

I guess the bottom line IMHO is if you buying one isn't going to mean eating Top Raman for a month then go for it. If you're deciding between a keg MLT and a grain mill vs. the Blichmann then spread your money around.

OP
Paraops

Paraops

Reaction score
Thanks man..... a 30gal???? holy $h!t! Using it for the BK I'm assuming??

McKBrew

Reaction score
If you have the money and want shiny, the Boilermaker is for you.

If you want something cheaper and don't care if it's a bit dinged, a used keggle is the way to go. I love my keggles.

Ryan_PA

Reaction score
If both were the same price you would have to go Bichmann. I like the idea of the ease of cleaning since you are not dealing with the lip at the top like a keggle, and I never can get all of the grain out of the crevice between the keg side and domed top.

However, I could not justify spending the money, personally. I have a kid that will want to see Mickey in a few years, go to college, get married... you get the point.

saq

Reaction score
I have a Blichmann 10g and I use it as my MLT and BK, it works fabulously for both. It is really superbly designed, and the false bottom is a work of genius. I did a pretty thick (1.25qt/lbs) mash with 2.5lbs of oats and it mashed as easy as can be.
Easy to clean, easy to use, very well made and also there is a major bling factor :)

Just be sure you figure out what size you need, my 10g isn't quite big enough for doing a thinner mash and having enough room for an additional mashout water infusion so I usually do direct heat when doing a mashout.

I'll be upgrading to a 15G sometime for use as an MLT and probably BK for my bigger (1.100+ OG) beers, my 10G will get relegated to occasional BK usage for not so big beers and for HLT usage.