1554 clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oshwa

Reaction score
I am relatively new to All-grain. I want to attempt to make something close to a 1554. I looked at a few clone recipes and at new Belgium website. I went only with the ingredients new Belgium had listed. This is what I came up with. Let me know what you think (too sweet, too roast, just right). As far as yeast goes I am planning to go with the closest thing my LHBS as to a SF lager.

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 68.1 %
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 17.0 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.4 %
8.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.3 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.3 %
0.33 oz Target [11.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 11.6 IBUs
0.33 oz Target [11.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 8.9 IBUs
0.33 oz Target [11.00 %] - Boil 3.0 min Hop 8 1.4 IBUs

Thanks,
:mug:

It has been a while since I have had this beer, but my first thought is you may have a little too much roasted malt in your grain bill. From what I can remember, this beer was not very roasty at all. I would take the black patent down to an ounce or two. I would imagine they are just using this for color adjustment.

You could try the chocolate malt at 12 oz and see how that goes. I would maybe back it down to 8 oz.

Also, you don't have to spend the extra money on Belgian pale malt. I am sure NB is using Rahr or Great Western.

How did this turn out? I'm still doing extracts. Is there a 1554 extract recipe? Maybe this will be my first all grain attempt.

It turned out quiet well! I would back down the black patent an 1oz even if you really like dark beer and 2 oz if you only kinda like dark beer. Everyone said it was really good just a little too dark/roasty/burnt tasting which im contributing to the black patent. All grain is the only way to go! The hobby goes to a whole new level at that point. Just make sure you do your research and have all the tools i.e. mash tun, wort chiller, big enough boil kettle etc.

ok you can even back down the black patent 3oz or 4oz. 8oz was just too much.

Back