15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegame310

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I plan on doing a fairly easy brew this weekend. 15 minute all cascade pale ale.

6 pounds of Light DME
2 ounces of cascade at 15 minutes
1 ounce of cascade at flame out.
Ferment with US 05.

I did a quick inventory of my freezer this morning and I found 2.4 ounces whole cone cascade hops that I likely had for about a year...maybe longer.

I would like to get some use out of these things, but I wouldn't be able to pull off using them in this recipe right, considering their quite old?

Thoughts?

You can use them since they were in the freezer, but you should figure in less potency (lower AA). Were they in a freezer bag, foodsaver bag, or just left in the rolled-up nitro bag? That will help determine the strength they should still have left. Do you know the AA on those?

Take a cone and rub it vigorously between your hands and see if it gives off the Cascade aroma. If so, use it. With only a year in freezer it should still be fine, just less potent, but I've used a friend's backyard cascade, somewhat vac-sealed and in freezer, up to two years old. They still provide aroma and flavor, just not as potent as fresh cones.

Back