15 gallon Kettle - Spike or Brugear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whattheschmidt

Reaction score
I plan on purchasing a new kettle tomorrow.

I am looking at getting a 15 gallon kettle for Christmas. I believe I have narrowed it down to these 2. The Brugear one seems a bit higher quality but a bit higher price too - and shipping adds even more to the cost on those ones.

I currently do 5 gallon batches and am looking to do BIAB all grain soon but have only done extract so far (in a Bayou classic 8gallon with ball valve).

My main concern is doing a 5 gallon batch (5.5-6gallon water to start with), will this amount cover the thermoprobes on these kettles? Will the probes be in the way of the bag or is that easy to get around?

Any other info I should consider on either? Why care about TC fittings on the Brugear? especially with that ball valve being threaded (I know, I could upgrade at some point).

Got a response from Bru gear.

Was told 5 gallons will cover the thermowell. If I do BIAB I assume I can just be careful and not destroy the bag with that there?

Too bad there's quite a price difference but the Bru gear one sure does look nice.

I would rather get a pot that doesn't have anything. Drill holes and put weldless fittings where you want them. I bought a 25 gallon Megs pot and thought it was awesome. I personally would go with the cheaper kettle. What about Bayou Classic with that steamer basket to hold the bag? I am not a BIAB brewer, but I thought that would work great.

I like nice things though. I'm thinking of the future when I have a brew sculpture as well (probably 2-3 years from that).

I already bought the Bru Gear one, and I found this one on craigslist:

frpELBj.jpg

Just bought that one as well, for $140.

I guess down the line I will figure out which will be BK, MT / HLT and get the last piece when I am ready.

I might just loan one of the kettles to a friend for awhile too.

I plan on purchasing a new kettle tomorrow.

I am looking at getting a 15 gallon kettle for Christmas. I believe I have narrowed it down to these 2. The Brugear one seems a bit higher quality but a bit higher price too - and shipping adds even more to the cost on those ones.

I currently do 5 gallon batches and am looking to do BIAB all grain soon but have only done extract so far (in a Bayou classic 8gallon with ball valve).

My main concern is doing a 5 gallon batch (5.5-6gallon water to start with), will this amount cover the thermoprobes on these kettles? Will the probes be in the way of the bag or is that easy to get around?

Any other info I should consider on either? Why care about TC fittings on the Brugear? especially with that ball valve being threaded (I know, I could upgrade at some point).

Spike has a kettle with the probe and the valve all down low on the kettle: http://spikebrewing.com/collections...le-stainless-steel-with-2-horizontal-couplers

You're thermo probe will be way down at the bottom allowing you to do smaller batches and also avoid it gettng caught up on or tearing your bag.

I purchased the Bru-Gear awhile ago. Won't be able to use it likely until the new year but I can't wait. Bought a bag for BIAB for it today.

While the probe isn't at the bottom, 5.5 gallons covers it and that's the batch size I plan on doing so it should be just about perfect. Keeping it safe from the bag might be tricky but I will figure something out. I will also do 10 gal batches at some point down the road in it.

Back