15 gal batch size, 20 gal kettle big enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To each their own but I have a 20g for 10 gallon batches. I dont want to have to worry about boil overs and tending to the pot. If the cost is minimal I would go bigger because then you always have more flexibility.

That little bit of time to make sure you don't boil it over pays off with an extra 5 gallons of beer.!!I just started doing 15 with 20 gal.pot but before last batch I never used Fermcap but I bought it to put in my starters and now I don't believe I never used it before.Its great. I can bring my pot to a boil just as I am done sparging so I can add a little more to top it of just so I don't come up short.My dual 10 gallon mash coolers get fed from 1 10 gallon HLT cooler and it has helped XXXXX over.Bottom line FERMCAP!

I'd go with the bigger pot if you can swing it. Depending on what your brewing and what your boil-off rate is, you'll be cutting it close. I don't/won't use Fermcap in my brews. No silicone for me.....(or the SWMBO for that matter. :tank:)

If I did the math right the pot is 21.3 gallon. If you do a 15 gallon beer and start with 17gallon preboil it would be 20.15" height in your pot. so you would be 5" from the top at start of boil. That seems more than enough to me.

Don't forget about thermal expansion. It's about 5% from boiling to chilled. I shoot for 16.5 (chilled gallons) in the boil pot at the start of the chill. A gallon contraction, and three boiled off. No way I'd make it work in a 20gal pot. I use 25gal megapots.

Thermal expansion @ 4-5% would indeed increase the height at boil by 3/4 to one inch. Good catch. I added 2 gallon at start of boil figuring 1 1/2 boil off and 1/2 gallon loss to line loss and trub. A 3 gallon boil off seems like a lot but I guess you could see that in your 21" diameter pot. The op is looking at a 15.75" diameter and 1 1/2 seems closer to what I see in a keggle. I remember starting boils in 30 qt pots with 26 qts of wort.. you did have to pay attention at the start.

I've been doing 1/2 barrel (15.5 gal) batches with a 20 gallon boil pot for quite a while now.
Trust me, you'll be a lot happier with the extra head space of a 25 or 30 gal.

Fermcap works, but like others have said, I really don't like the idea of having it in my beer.
It does a great job knocking down the Starsan foam in my blow-off bucket.

If all goes well I plan to put together a 30 gal pot this year and use my old 20 as a HLT.

Latest posts

Back