15 cu ft keezer died.....crazy ideas to zombify it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
The short of it...

I am not a noob.

I am not an idiot.

I like the size of my 15 cu ft behemoth, and am pondering dissecting a dorm fridge/freezer, putting the guts in my chest freezer, and using the old ***** as a giant cooler with independent cooling sitting inside her.

I hate the idea of getting rid of this thing.

I hate the idea of getting a whole new one, and I am short of cash at the moment.

Thoughts?

I generally keep the keezer at 44F.

You idiot!

Only a great fool would anger the keezer gods by not letting that keezer's soul be at rest.

Sorry - I have nothing to add. However, I have a 15cu ft that just died as well... So I'm eagerly awaiting updates to this thread with ideas.

The mini-fridge idea could work, and it'll be easier to dissect it and transfer the cooling system if you find one with the hot side heat exchanger on the back.

Or cut a hole in the side and fit a window air conditioner to it. Use plenty of gray tape for the correct "bodged together" look.

The short of it...

I am not a noob.

I am not an idiot.

Now, now. Let us be the judge of that. ;)

I like the size of my 15 cu ft behemoth, and am pondering dissecting a dorm fridge/freezer, putting the guts in my chest freezer, and using the old ***** as a giant cooler with independent cooling sitting inside her.

I hate the idea of getting rid of this thing.

I hate the idea of getting a whole new one, and I am short of cash at the moment.

Thoughts?

I generally keep the keezer at 44F.

Well sir...

I can think of eight options.

1) Build a box that holds an air conditioner, and hook that box up to a duct that vents cold air into the dead keezer and control it with a temp controller. Also cut a hole for a return vent.
2) Get a small freezer and cut a hole in the door of that to vent into the keezer and control it with a temp controller. Also cut for a return air vent and a small fan to keep the air circulating.
3) Get a dorm fridge or a small freezer, take it completely apart and use the cooling guts on the inside of the keezer.
4) Glycol chiller setup.
5) Hire a guy to fix the dead keezer.
6) Two words: dry ice.
7) Move north and just vent the outside air into the keezer.
8) Use your charms to convince someone that owns a nice chest freezer to give it to you and in return you will bring them fresh beer periodically.

LandoLincoln, you are worthy of that avatar!;)

Thanks for the 8 thoughts...

The mini-fridge idea could work, and it'll be easier to dissect it and transfer the cooling system if you find one with the hot side heat exchanger on the back.

Or cut a hole in the side and fit a window air conditioner to it. Use plenty of gray tape for the correct "bodged together" look.

Thanks!!!! Hot side exchanger on the back that would be vented to the outside?

I did this last summer with a 16 cubic foot upright freezer I had used as a fermentation chamber. It works well, but you have to put a pan in the back of it to catch the drippings (the pan never filled up). Last summer, if I wanted to hold low 40's or less, it was necessary to have a little fan blowing on the front of it to keep it from icing over. It would easily hold mid 30s in an 80+ degree garage. It was a 5000 btu AC.

Thanks!!!! Hot side exchanger on the back that would be vented to the outside?

Yeah, I'm thinking of the kind with a visible and easily accessible cooling matrix/condensor on the back, as opposed to the kind that run the cooling lines on the outside side walls of the fridge.

Like this
rear-of-fridge.jpg

Basically just hack the keezer about until you can fit that system onto the side of it.

Yeah, I'm thinking of the kind with a visible and easily accessible cooling matrix/condensor on the back, as opposed to the kind that run the cooling lines on the outside side walls of the fridge.

Like this
rear-of-fridge.jpg

Basically just hack the keezer about until you can fit that system onto the side of it.

Thanks brother!

I like the mini-fridge idea.....but definitely get one pictured like above. I built a kegerator out of one of the ones that has the lines running against the outside shell....pain in the arse!

The other good idea is the homeade glycol chiller....esp if you have something else you want to cool. You could put a heat exchanger in the old keeper and pump glycol through it......you could easily make two separate chambers in the keezer this way. One to lager or cold crash and one for ales.

PS I appreciate the CAVEATS......in the OP. some people..........

Back