$15.00 Beer Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindenMan

Reaction score
Earlier today, I read a post mentioning Northern Brewer or some company selling 5 gallon beer kits with yeast for $15.00. Does anybody remember seeing that post?

I went AG as it is a lot less expensive to buy grain instead of malt extract. I just brewed a 5.75 gallon batch of 1.052 Amber for $14.00, and I have two house strains of yeast already. The only added expense I had to go all AG, was two 5 gallon buckets and a spigot to make a Zapap tun. It may have cost $12.00 to be set up for AG. I already owned a drill and drill bits, so that cost doesn't count.

well if your all grain welcome to the world of almost no sales that will help you from the big brew shops.

An allgrain brewer is usually a more educated consumer.... Not ideal for the mail order distributors that make a killing with high markups... Plus grain is bulky and heavy to ship and has a shorter shelf life vs the premade bottled/sealed beer concentrate. They know most realize allgrain brewers have figured out its cheaper to buy a 55lb bag of grain for $35 on a local group buy and just buy your specalty grains and hops online or from the local HBS.... you can make 7 batches of beer from one bag of grain depending on the recipe and its cheap!!
my local HBS finally broke down and started making and selling BIAB kits (all grain) after tring to convince me it wasnt worth it to go all grain every time I asked about it... (maybe its not as worth it to THEM)

Valuebrew used to have some awesome prices on thier kits... and they sold 10gallon kits which is rare! I got a 10 gallon brown ale I still have to brew from them for like $22 shipped! of course the site is down now (again).

The funny thing is one can brew 5 gallons of Bud light for about $7-10...lol cheapest beer to make I have seen yet... It was my first all grain experience when I was trying to make something my "light adjunct" beer slugging buddies would drink)

I brew all grain BIAB but I picked up three of the kits for the 18lbs of LME and the handful of hops. I'm not gonna use them to make the kits. It was a super good deal when you just take it as ingredients. It's very hard for me to do over 1.070 on a 5 gallon recipe so I can make 3 giant beers I've wanted to make for awhile and use the 6lb jugs of LME to make up the difference.

The smart thrifty brewer buys what's a good deal at the time and make plans around that. Not saying 55lb bags aren't a good deal in terms of price but I won't limit myself to doing only all grain all the time. At the cost you saved a dollar on the LME and the hops were free.

LOL, now this I have to hear...how do you figure that???

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

All grain bias all the way.

An 'educated' consumer knows a good deal when he sees one and snatches it up regardless. 45 dollars for 18lbs of LME, 5oz of assorted hops, 3ish lbs of specialty grains (mixed yes, but they're not gross mixes by a long shot) is a good deal no matter what.

Edit:I didn't plan on picking up ingredients this week, nor brewing this week but it's a good enough deal I had to snatch it up. For information purposes I am all grain BIAB but extract and extra hops is always good to have on hand.

Back