145 Gallon BIAB, yes 145 gallon!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilserbrewer

BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406161607.137028.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1406161658.894526.jpg

Yep, 145 gallon kettle BIAB...can't wait to see pics of the brew session!

1/2 keg in photo for scale

Cheers!
Wilser

Ps, not my kettle, custom order

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Wow... not to question your product, I know they're great.. but is that seem going to hold that much weight!?!?!

My guess would be wet grains weigh about 115% -120% more then dry grains. I average about 20lbs per 10 gallons so 145 gallons would've around 290lbs x 1.15% (or 1.2%) should be around 333.5lb (or 348lbs). Hope that seem is a double, triple+ design!

way to go Wilser! BTW, I've done 4 batches in your bag since I've had it, works great. Easy to clean and strong!

holy crap! if that holds, that'll be pretty awesome. that's gonna be quite a bit of weight

Whoever this is , is my hero. I do pretty much the biggest BIAB batches I've seen at 25 gals. This will be epic (and I hate that phrase)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406237643.419049.jpg

Curious as I am, I decided to run a simple test on the voile material and the seam.

Test 1 on the material involved a 1" strip of the voile material, trying as hard as I could to rip it in tension, the voile didn't yield or stretch at all...estimated load 80-90 pounds.

Test 2 involved cutting the 1" strip and seaming it back together, at partial loading, approx. 40-50 pounds there was absolutely no issue. When increased to full load of 80-100 lbs (as hard as I could pull) the seam did become a bit stretched but still did not fail or come apart in any way. Basicly I tried to take it to failure mode and was unsuccessful!

So what does this mean? The voile bag as constructed has approx. 70 linear inches of weight bearing bottom seam, using the conservative figure of 45 pounds / inch, we can estimate that the bottom seam is unharmed by a total load of:

45 pounds/inch X 70 inches = 3,150 pounds

And using the ultimate load applied without failure:

90 pounds/inch X 70 inches = 6,300 pounds

Estimated grain bills for the 145 gallon kettle (80 - 100 gallon batches) are estimated at 200 to 300 pounds, adding 20% water the max loading of grain in the bag is approximately 360 lbs, or a very small fraction, less than 6% of the estimated bag weight capacity.

(actual estimated seam loading will be 360lbs / 70 inches = 5 lbs / inch... very low)

I hope this puts some fears to rest, it has for me....as batch size increases w/ BIAB, the bag must also grow much larger and with that extra size becomes stronger overall as well.

Thanks for listening,

cheers!
Wilserbrewer

I want to see the crane he is using to lift the bag out of the tank with!

Heck, I'd be satisfied with seeing KIAKillers rig. 😝

Would be really fun to find out why this brewer went with BIAB at this size. Economies of scale alone I would think would prevent this. Very interested in the decision making and design of this system!

We can only hope! I would love to see pics as well! I asked the purchaser very nicely, and gave him one heck of a deal!!!

But unfortunately there are no guarantees.

Do you know if it's going to a commercial brewery or if it's a homebrew setup? 145 gal homebrew setup seems unlikely, but so does a commercial BIAB system.

The bottom may hold but how in the heck do you lift it without damage?

Again, the large size of the bag provides the strength needed. I work building bridges, a 50 -100 ton lift is a large pick...300 - 500 pounds is really not much at all with a proper small hoist or lift, even a basic manual hoist is good for several tons....way more than we are looking at here...

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406240075.038951.jpg

The drawstring I used is a nylon poly web pull tape called bull-line rated for 1800 pounds safe working load, you would double that for the two parts of line for a safe working load of 3600 lbs. (with an ultimate capacity of 3-4 times that.

I also included a 3-4 foot loop of the bull tape if the user wants to wrap and cinch the top of the bag to lift.

Wilserbrewer

Wait... Is this a simple marketing ploy for your bags, or is this actually being used for production?

It is an actual product shipped to a brewer with a 145 gallon kettle looking to fill two 100 gallon conicals. I didn't ask what he intends to do with the beer. I also will not reveal his location without permission. I merely took some pics of a product prior to shipment...from here on out we are at the buyers discretion...

Please play nicely, this is not a ploy :(

It is an actual product shipped to a brewer with a 145 gallon kettle looking to fill two 100 gallon conicals. I didn't ask what he intends to do with the beer. I also will not reveal his location without permission. I merely took some pics of a product prior to shipment...from here on out we are at the buyers discretion...

Please play nicely, this is not a ploy :(

We'll damn... There you go, it's both! Lol :mug:

I've seen posts where someone had a huge tank and talked about doing something like this... Maybe it was him.

Seems like a reasonable capacity for a brew pub. I would worry a lot more about head room above the kettle than weight.

If the kettle is as big as the bag they are going to need atleast 16ft ceilings, maybe more. How many restaurants have that in the kitchen?

I have a 26 gal kettle and when I did a 20 biab batch, I lifted 30 lb of spent grain out of my kettle using my bag(my guess is 60 lbs wet).
While the bag did not rip, the threading on the bottom of the bag stretched. I wouldn't want to test it much more.

The bag I used wasn't one of your bags, but I think the thread and voile materials were similar, my bag also used a"can design" rather than the single seam design you use, (I think your design is stronger but may not fit the contours of the kettle as well.)

I am definitely curious on the results of this monster bag, if it does truly hold up, I would definitely consider switching designs..

I have a 26 gal kettle and when I did a 20 biab batch, I lifted 30 lb of spent grain out of my kettle using my bag(my guess is 60 lbs wet).
While the bag did not rip, the threading on the bottom of the bag stretched. I wouldn't want to test it much more.

The bag I used wasn't one of your bags, but I think the thread and voile materials were similar, my bag also used a"can design" rather than the single seam design you use, (I think your design is stronger but may not fit the contours of the kettle as well.)

I am definitely curious on the results of this monster bag, if it does truly hold up, I would definitely consider switching designs..

ODI3,

The BIAB bag shape I use is generously sized to assure that it fully lines the kettle when the grain is added, and also drains nicely in a single stream of wort into the center of the kettle when the bag is pulled. JMO, but I feel the cylindrical "can design" shaped bags are overly complicated, unnecessary and also perhaps not as strong, IDK. It does involve more seaming which is only more area for problems IMHO.

I feel a 30 lb grain bill should not have stretched the seams on your bag IMHO.

I test loaded a BIAB bag to 120 lbs without issue here...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/biab-polyester-voile-strength-test-384445/

Cheers and happy BIABing.
wilser

I'm curious if there are any commercial micro-breweries who do single-vessel BIAB? Anyone aware of such a brewery?

What is the largest BIAB brew batch that you are aware of?

Back