14.5 Gallon Cooler. Have you seen these?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayer021175666

Reaction score
I thought I'd post this and see if you guys know anything about them. I was wondering what the inside diameter is and how well it would fit the false bottom out of my 10 gallon cooler. And, just to show it to you guys because it might help some of you out.
Cheers

Attachments

• 2250512.jpg
    2250512.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 72
The exterior diameter is 17.5 inches, and judging from my 10g Rubbermaid the interior diameter would be plenty large enough to accomodate a 12" domed FB, which would work about as well as domed FBs work. Otherwise, some kind of braid, or even use a Wilserbag with it.

I would be more concerned about being the first person to see if a typical bulkhead solution would work after removing the existing spout...

Cheers!

As far as the false bottom goes, mine is a 12-in domed. If I can't use that, it will suck for me. As far as being the first one to try it out, unless someone else chimes in and say that they have one, that's going to be me. I already bought one last night. Just waiting for it in the mail.

I was guessing or guesstimating, that the 14.5 gallon cooler would probably have about a 14 in diameter on the inside. A 12-in dome would go out to everything but one inch around the edge if, that were true. I don't think that would be a problem as long as, the edge of the false bottom made good contact with the cooler bottom. Is there any need that it should go clear out to the cooler walls? Might be a little better but, I can't see how it would be detrimental, myself.

Tons of thousands of people have used braided lautering devices that hardly cover much of their mash tun bottoms at all. So, no, I don't expect a one inch halo around a 12" FB would be measurably detrimental to making beer :)

Cheers!

Thanks man! I gotta good feeling about this! :mischievous:
It may just be the picture but that cooler looks shorter and fatter than my ten-gallon.
I'm guessing your FB will work.
If not, well you could always use it to serve lemonade in the hot weather. ;)

Lemonade with a bunch of extra sugar and some K1V-1116 makes a tasty beverage.
The stuff I make is usually over 10%.

Man, are you serious? I never thought about trying to make alcoholic lemonade. Tell me more about how you're doing it? I mean, of course I was just joking. I like lemonade. I just rather drink beer!

Yes sir, serious.
They call it skeeter pee in some of the recipes.
I use 8-10 pounds of sugar dissolved in hot water
6-8 cans of frozen concentrate lemonade
4-6 cans of frozen concentrate limeade
water to five gallons in a fermenter
1 packet of K1V-1116 wine yeast my ("go to") yeast for ciders and other hard beverages

Sometimes, I'll pitch this on the yeast cake from a batch of apple cider, so that there is plenty of yeast.

I've even used pink lemonade, and when it was finished, added 4-6 cans of frozen strawberry daiquiri mix to the keg at packaging, it is always a favorite with non beer drinkers.

Man, it sounds like it might be delicious! What's the ABV on it?

Dunno, as I don't test or measure SG, in ciders, lemonade or beer.
Probably somewhere north of 10%

It will jump on you.

One day, I had been doing yard work and it was hot, when I got done, I poured a glass and knocked it down, and decided that I would have another, knocked it down as well, then thought that I would pour another glass and go inside (my kegerators were in the garage), I sat in my recliner and thought "man I'm f***ed up, why did I pour this third glass?", but I drank it anyway, didn't want it to go to waste.

Jeff, just a normal one or two week fermentation process? And keg it up? Do you carbonate it as well?

I'm eyeing it myself...if you try and even get close! i might pick one up! i use a bazooka though...

Man, it looks pretty damn good don't it! Maybe not good enough to charge toward it like a famous battle scene from Lawrence of Arabia but, pretty damn good! Ok. When I saw it I charged toward it just like that scene! I'll tell you how it goes, man. Wish me luck!

FWIW, I now keep "Skeeter Pee" Mead on tap at home. Google the recipe and sub honey for the sugar. Slowly gains some carbonation over time but pegged w/ enough pressure to seal, initially. It also makes a great braggot w/ APA/IPA (citrusy hops) or stout. Yup, like Kaffelemonad. Just a "splash" (maybe an ounce) in a pint of stout. Same or a little less w/ APA/IPA.

Good Lord, Brother. That's a lot for a guy to go through! I brew some bumper beers that lots of people enjoy but, none are even nearly as involved as all that. Some people like to make a big science project of making a really nice alcoholic beverage to drink and some like to keep things simple. I will always be on the latter side. It sounds like it would be a really good drink! As far as making it myself goes, I actually prefered Dr_Jeff's recipe. Do ya really need all those other whatevers just to make acidic stuff ferment?! o_O I'll read it again tomorrow when I'm not buzzed but right now, it just looks like it's probably to much (for me anyway) to
F...... muck with.

If not, well you could always use it to serve lemonade in the hot weather. ;)
Man. I sure hope I never have to resort to drinking lemonade when the weather is hot!😫😁

just pin pointed when i lost track...didn't realize drinking lemon aid in hot weather took it off the rails.... :D

i'm drinking hard lemon aid now... but my recipe is a secret! 🤫

🤣

well, with that tone of voice, i'm kinda intimidated...i have few different favorites...right now i'm liking my low calorie version.

but i like a good wheat germ sugar wash, then with steps involved, add it too a 5 gallon keg to get it to 8% ABV, and 'my'recipe is 2 32oz lemon juice containers to 3 cups sugar....(at the moment i'm trying something new, 1 8 quart country time lemonaid mix and 1 lemon juice container...no sugar, pretty good.)

usually i'm adding 65%ABV booze which is 52% by weight, so 3.5lbs booze, to like...just fill up the keg with water.... (or 14,1200g's for a total of 640ozs)

anyway it keeps the devil from getting In My Beverage, ;)

edit: but i'm with you, i only drink this out of desperation. when i feel i little dizzy in the fight....

i'm drinking hard lemon aid now... but my recipe is a secret! 🤫
🤣

well, with that tone of voice, i'm kinda intimidated...i have few different favorites...right now i'm liking my low calorie version.

but i like a good wheat germ sugar wash, then with steps involved, add it too a 5 gallon keg to get it to 8% ABV, and 'my'recipe is 2 32oz lemon juice containers to 3 cups sugar....(at the moment i'm trying something new, 1 8 quart country time lemonaid mix and 1 lemon juice container...no sugar, pretty good.)

usually i'm adding 65%ABV booze which is 52% by weight, so 3.5lbs booze, to like...just fill up the keg with water.... (or 14,1200g's for a total of 640ozs)

anyway it keeps the devil from getting In My Beverage, ;)

edit: but i'm with you, i only drink this out of desperation. when i feel i little dizzy in the fight....

🤯😲Fine. Don't let me know.

I'm gonna look into this drink now that I heard about it. Bet I can figure out SOMETHING to make acid ferment!!

🤯😲Fine. Don't let me know.

f you! twisting my arm! 2 quarts lemon juice, 3 cups sugar, 3.5lbs homemade vodka! now i'm gonna go out like tesla, and the guy that invented the microwave!

edit: you mean naturaly fermented? lemon flavor included? i wouldn't want to drink it....

we'll see about the Tesla talk

both tesla the guy who invented the AC motor, and the guy that invented the microwave were never recognized at the time....or really paid.

yeah top the keg up with water...other wise it'd be one hell of a moonshine sour, and you'd be squinting...

it's really just what i do when i don't have time or will power to brew, and can't afford apple juice.....last resort sorta thing?

Thanks man. I actually have some sugar liquor. Not much to do with it but, make vodka type drinks and I'm not a big fan. When you say the amount of it in pounds, though. Are you just saying to weigh it, or?

well if you have sugar liquor, be cheaper if you age it on some wood for a couple weeks? but now this thread is off the fairway, in the rough, and then chipped into the sand pit.... ;)

but yeah i weigh it for calorie counting....gotta keep my sexy figure! lol

for you though...about a half gallon of 65% will get it close enough :mug:

well if you have sugar liquor, be cheaper if you age it on some wood for a couple weeks? but now this thread is off the fairway, in the rough, and then chipped into the sand pit.... ;)

but yeah i weigh it for calorie counting....gotta keep my sexy figure! lol

for you though...about a half gallon of 65% will get it close enough :mug:
When you’re weighing average liquids there’s a saying on all the cooking shows: “A pint’s a pound the world around.” But I think that only refers to an American pint, which is not coincidentally 16 oz.

FWIW, I now keep "Skeeter Pee" Mead on tap at home. Google the recipe and sub honey for the sugar. Slowly gains some carbonation over time but pegged w/ enough pressure to seal, initially. It also makes a great braggot w/ APA/IPA (citrusy hops) or stout. Yup, like Kaffelemonad. Just a "splash" (maybe an ounce) in a pint of stout. Same or a little less w/ APA/IPA.

Sub agave nectar for the honey and it tastes more like a margarita.

I'm the op and I don't mind it going off topic, this time. Since, it appears that I'll be the first one to say how it worked out and any pitfalls or whatever I may encounter. No one has any information on it so, the thread went off topic. I even helped it go off topic by being interested in the lemonade. Anyway, I might make a new post since this one has gotten so long-winded and off topic. But! I will report back on my findings with the cooler.

Good Lord, Brother. That's a lot for a guy to go through! I brew some bumper beers that lots of people enjoy but, none are even nearly as involved as all that. Some people like to make a big science project of making a really nice alcoholic beverage to drink and some like to keep things simple. I will always be on the latter side. It sounds like it would be a really good drink! As far as making it myself goes, I actually prefered Dr_Jeff's recipe. Do ya really need all those other whatevers just to make acidic stuff ferment?! o_O I'll read it again tomorrow when I'm not buzzed but right now, it just looks like it's probably to much (for me anyway) to
F...... muck with.

You can also make it without the lemon juice at first, just do the sugar/nutrients, etc. Maybe toss in a can or 3 of some frozen juice concentrate (cranberry worked well, just make sure no preservatives or fake sugar), let that ferment out, then add lemon (and lime!) juice, stabilize, back sweeten, and keg.

Back