12oz of chinook on hand...

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

danio

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm looking for a critique of a recipe I came up with last night and am gonna brew this evening. Basically I'm thinking a big, bitter, resiney, citrusy IPA. I have 12oz of chinook leaf hops and i'm gonna go get some grains ground today. I've never used Maris Otter before so I'm thinking about this:

7lb 2row
7lb Maris Otter
1lb crystal 40l

3oz chinook 60
2oz chinook 30
2oz chinook 5
2oz chinook 0

3oz chinook dry hop for 1.5 weeks

100% RO water + 1tsp CaCl + 2tsp Gyp
Mash at 152, use US-05

My efficiency is usually in the low 60s for some reason so that puts me at like 7.2% abv for a 5gal batch.

I love my beers bitter, hence the 60 min. Otherwise I figured it was a pretty decent hop distribution. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Dan

Hammy71

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It will make an IPA. Not sure I've ever tasted chinook and thought 'citrusy' though. It's more of a dank hop to me. Think Arrogant Bastard.

OP
D

danio

Reaction score
Oh ok. I've never done a beer with lots of chinook (I use mostly cascade, centennial, amarillo, simcoe type hops) so part of this brew is to explore a hop all by itself. I wonder if it will pair well with the MO?

Grantman1

Reaction score
I'd move the 30 min addition to 20 so you get some flavor out of it. I haven't crunched the numbers, so what are your expected ibus and og? I get dank notes and a ton of citrus from chinooks.

OP
D

danio

Reaction score
Good thought on the 20 minute move.

If I move it to 20 min my total IBUs are 210. I always think beersmith's IBUs are way high...it seems like I get a ton of IBUs from even the late additions, for example.

OP
D

danio

Reaction score
jbsg: Hehe, I always keg. Otherwise I would! :-D

masskrug

Reaction score
Good thought on the 20 minute move.

If I move it to 20 min my total IBUs are 210.
Wow! I've tasted, and liked, 100 IBU's. Please tell me how this one tastes. Is there a limit? A point where your taste buds don't know a difference?

OP
D

danio

Reaction score
I've heard 100 is the max that your taste buds can detect...? I think that's a pretty fuzzy barrier though.