12G conical fermenter plastic.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have the risks here as with fermentation in a plastic bucket. Plus, it does not block light, may get scratched and harbor an infectious source.

For that price, save your $$$ and get a stainless conical.

My .02 worth.

As I discovered with my previous attempt at a thread on this topic, this was discussed back in March.

I think it boils down to what you want to spend, and if you are willing to take the risks with the plastic.

Biermann said:
You have the risks here as with fermentation in a plastic bucket. Plus, it does not block light, may get scratched and harbor an infectious source.

For that price, save your $$$ and get a stainless conical.

My .02 worth.

As I discovered with my previous attempt at a thread on this topic, this was discussed back in March.

I think it boils down to what you want to spend, and if you are willing to take the risks with the plastic.

Agree. My main concern would be with it getting scratched.

I use a plastic bucket for primary. It's very convenient and cheap...so if it does get scratched, I'll probably just buy another one and retire this one to measuring water on brew day.

But if it weren't cheap, that would wreck the whole argument in its favor.

cweston said:
Agree. My main concern would be with it getting scratched.

I use a plastic bucket for primary. It's very convenient and cheap...so if it does get scratched, I'll probably just buy another one and retire this one to measuring water on brew day.

But if it weren't cheap, that would wreck the whole argument in its favor.

SS would be great but you're talking more than twice the amount of money for one.

I'm curious how the inside will get scratched? It wouldn't be like a bucket where you throw all your stuff in it to sanitize. I mean at $200 I think I would take care of it.

abarilla said:
Has anyone ever actually had first hand experience of a bad batch of beer because of using plastic?

While searching these I came across another forum and a guy claimed his wife works for a lab and they tested these for oxygen permiation and it didn't have any after 30 days. I know you can't trust everything on the net but the stuff is 5/16" thick.

I'm just curious if the same things that apply to a bucket would apply here. Plus are they even the same material?

I have an 8 gallon Minibrew fermenter and like it a lot... never had any problems of scratching the inside as nothing goes inside it except some paper towels during cleanup. I just can't see putting big bucks into stainless steel when these work just as good. Plus I'm really not out to impress anyone else with my equipment.

In fact, I've been so impressed with their fermenters that I have just purchased their HLT and Mash Tun and have been in direct contact with John Thomas, from Hobby Beverage, about creating a matching heat exchanger for the Mash Tun... hopefully that will turn out soon.

Check eBay for these... there are several sellers out there who have them much cheaper. There one seller in particular who seems to list many of their products for really good prices but I can't seem to locate him at the moment. I'll post later if I can find it.

John Beere said:
I have an 8 gallon Minibrew fermenter and like it a lot... never had any problems of scratching the inside as nothing goes inside it except some paper towels during cleanup. I just can't see putting big bucks into stainless steel when these work just as good. Plus I'm really not out to impress anyone else with my equipment.

In fact, I've been so impressed with their fermenters that I have just purchased their HLT and Mash Tun and have been in direct contact with John Thomas, from Hobby Beverage, about creating a matching heat exchanger for the Mash Tun... hopefully that will turn out soon.

Check eBay for these... there are several sellers out there who have them much cheaper. There one seller in particular who seems to list many of their products for really good prices but I can't seem to locate him at the moment. I'll post later if I can find it.

Thanks John, I have checked ebay and I also don't see them. Let us know if you track it down.

Todd said:
Thanks John, I have checked ebay and I also don't see them. Let us know if you track it down.

I emailed the seller last night... He is going to relist them all later this week. Hobby Beverage just increased their prices (for the first time in five years apparently) which forced him to remove all his auctions. I'll post the link once he does.

Todd said:

Actually just clicked link from Homebrew.com - I don't know the exact price increases that just occurred but I'd try to see if they would sell you one for that price as that does not reflect Hobby Beverage's price increases.

The seller I've been talking to is Jim Robertson. His eBay store is called "Advanced Homebrew Equipment" and is located here: http://stores.ebay.com/Advanced-Homebrew-Equipment_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

PM me if you want his direct email address as I'd hate to post it here without his permission. After talking with him, I feel confident that he will probably provide you with the best deals even with the price increases from Hobby Beverage.

Looks like it'd be comparable: you turn the siphon tube so that the elbow goes down to the bottom of the container and open it until it runs clear.

If it were me, I'd want to get a firsthand report from someone who has used it either way (this thing or the plastic conical). I think the most common complaint with these types of fermenters is with the valve mechanism for pulling out yeast sediment.

Back