120v 20amp switch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bensiff

Reaction score
I'm building a BCS controller powered with 120v 20 amp. I'm trying to figure out what sort of switch to use to turn on the main power. I can't find a switch that handles 20 amps so that means I need something like a relay but I can't find a 110v 20 amp relay. Any thoughts on what would be the best solution for this?

One way to do it is use the switch to trigger a contactor. One like this, then run power from the AC hot input -> panel switch -> contactor coil -> ground. This setup means very little power runs through the switch, allowing you to use a standard, box store toggle or rocker switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
One way to do it is use the switch to trigger a contactor. One like this, then run power from the AC hot input -> panel switch -> contactor coil -> ground. This setup means very little power runs through the switch, allowing you to use a standard, box store toggle or rocker switch.

That is what I was thinking but they are all 2 phase. Is there one that is designed as a 120v single phase or is it a simple matter of only wiring 1 contactor and letting the other go unused?

Last edited by a moderator:
The one he linked is double pole, so you can switch both your hot and neutral. If youre only wanting to cut off the hot then look for a SPST relay. Or you could go with that one and just bypass it with the neutral... not sure if there's much of a price difference.

If we had details on your controller maybe we can find a switch.

I wouldn't be opposed to using one of these:
c16a8cd4-f25f-4773-b871-b7b8179359b6_400.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Decora-Plus-20-Amp-Switch-White-R52-05621-2WS/100357015

'da Kid

The only 20 amp switches I saw are the wall type switches and a toggle switch and I really don't want either. So sounds like I'll do the spst and use the type of switch I want on the controller.

This build is a BCS for fermentation control so it only needs enough juice to power a small AC unit, a pump, and some motorized ball valves.

Better question is, what is you total load? Do you have a 20A load? If so, get a contactor from fleabay for $10, never mind if it's single, two or three phase, the contactor has separate legs for each phase.

If your load is less than 20A, use the appropriate switch for 150% of your max load.

Lots of ways to skin felix.

Latest posts

Back