12 oz bottles to 16 oz bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yummybeer

Reaction score
okay, so i'm considering switching from 12 oz bottles to 16 oz. bottles. main reason being that most, if not all, of my glassware are pint glasses. this may be a dumb question but will a cap used for a 12 oz bottle still work on a 16 oz bottle? :mug:

I didn't know they sold beer in 16oz size. I thought it was 12 or 22oz or 750ml. but the caps are the same.

I didn't know they sold beer in 16oz size. I thought it was 12 or 22oz or 750ml. but the caps are the same.

i did some looking around and found that midwest supplies and northern brewer sells 16 oz bottles. both sell 16 oz bottles. of the two, northern brewer has the bottle while both have the bottle with the EZ cap.
has any one used the EZ cap before? if so, how well does the EZ cap cap work?
i may also check with my local brew shop to see if they sell a 16 oz bottle. :mug:

EZ Cap is a trademark for a brand of flip-top bottle. Some commercial beers are sold in this style bottle, notably Grolsch. Each bottle has a wire bail that holds a plastic or ceramic cap. You put a gasket on the cap, fill the bottle, then with your fingers push the bail to force the cap onto the bottle.

I've used them (I've got a bunch of Grolsch bottles) and they work fine. You don't need caps, and you can open them without a bottle opener (though to some, any tool is a bottle opener). They're also easy to re-seal if you don't pour everything out. And they look cool.

I personally find that my hands get tired before I finish bottling with them, though. A good capper with crown caps is easier.

has any one used the EZ cap before? if so, how well does the EZ cap cap work?

I've used them. They are absolutely frickin' awesome.

I like them enough I once choked down 15 4-packs of Grolsch just because if I was buying commercial beer, I wanted to increase my stock of ez-cap bottles. If you've ever tasted Grolsch that should tell you something.

Why would he be pouring beer with no head?

Whenever I pour a 12 oz bottle into my 16 oz glass I usually have minimal space between the head and the top of the glass, if not completely full. Unless there's something I'm completely missing, a 16 oz bottle will completely fill a 16 oz glass with beer?

Whenever I pour a 12 oz bottle into my 16 oz glass I usually have minimal space between the head and the top of the glass, if not completely full. Unless there's something I'm completely missing, a 16 oz bottle will completely fill a 16 oz glass with beer?

Ah.... OK, that makes perfect sense. I was thinking you meant that larger bottles, or ez-cap bottles wouldn't carb right.

Shame on me. I'll have to read more carefully next time. :)

Back