12 oz bottles--16oz glasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterSense

Reaction score
I'm strictly bottling, and I probably will be a for quite a while. I like having a lot of varieties available at one time.

I'm sure I'm not the first brewer that noticed that a 12 oz bottle doesn't fill up a 16 oz glass. Even allowing for some head, it's still like 1/4 of the way empty (3/4 of the way full for you optimists) before you even start drinking. I have a collection of glasses that I really like, it's just that they are slightly too big.

I wish 16oz bottles were more popular, because it's a better size, but I have a big collection of 12oz bottles anyway. Can you even buy 12 oz glasses?

I don't know but I have the opposite problem. My glasses are something like 10oz. so with the head I cannot pour a whole bottle. So I just deal with it. Maybe something to ask for for Xmas. I doubt I'll get my all grain electric brewsculpture.

40 cl glasses are pretty close. A lot of belgian glasses are about the right size.

And of course, there are pint bottles.

I have some 16oz bottles that I used to use with pint glasses. They just can't fit in a pint glass. You end up having an extra couple ounces that stir up all the sediment when it gets poured in later. A 12oz beer can overfill a 14oz goblet if you're not careful and pour a large head.

Having 12oz in a 12oz glass might make it look full, but you'd end up spilling/wasting beer if you tried to actually move it. Do you refill it every time you take a sip to maintain fullness? It's better to be slightly large than too small.

I use the Grolsch bottles and they are 15.2 oz. I think. They pour perfectly into a pint glass. Consider those?

I have also used Grolsch bottles. Got lucky and picked up a couple dozen from a distributer. Easy to clean and a lot easier to cap. You can replace the rubber seals when they start showing worn. Only problem I have come across is space in the frig after a few batches.

I wish I had that problem. Our glasses are too small by at least 2 ounces, maybe more like 3 or 4.

Most of my so-called pint classes are actually about 14 oz. I've got a true pint dimple mug, a nonic true Imperial pint, and four European (Spaten imprint) glasses that have the line, and will hold 1/2 liter, plus head. I've also got a set of rather large pilsener glasses that probably run the same size. I bottle in 12 oz. 9 in. standard longnecks, for the most part, and frankly don't much notice.

Rather than fuss with different bottle sizes or glasses, this is probably a good justification for getting a keg set-up. Then you can fill your glasses perfectly every time! :)

Back