12 oz. Amber PET beer bottles with reusable thread caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
When will we see these available at the home-brewer level?

I'm aware of the argument for O2 permeability, but I believe the real reason why they have not entered widespread use by the big breweries is that they bottle pasteurize. And if it takes 2 - 3 years for enough O2 to pass through the membrane of PET to skunk a beer, then this is not really likely to be of any concern to most of us home-brewers.

For some time now reusable 500 ml (16.9 oz.) amber PET beer bottles with 28 mm reusable thread caps have been generally available, but for the US market this is an awkward size. Something closer to 375 ml. would be ideal. 375 ml would allow for a full 12 ounce fill with 20 ml of remaining head-space.

When will we see these available at the home-brewer level?

I'm aware of the argument for O2 permeability, but I believe the real reason why they have not entered widespread use by the big breweries is that they bottle pasteurize. And if it takes 2 - 3 years for enough O2 to pass through the membrane of PET to skunk a beer, then this is not really likely to be of any concern to most of us home-brewers.

For some time now reusable 500 ml (16.9 oz.) amber PET beer bottles with 28 mm reusable thread caps have been generally available, but for the US market this is an awkward size. Something closer to 375 ml. would be ideal. 375 ml would allow for a full 12 ounce fill with 20 ml of remaining head-space.

More range is always better, but i would prefer more 750mL (I know Mr. Beer makes some) and 1L and maybe even 2L PET growlers. Especially if compatible with carbacap size design so one can force-carb via CO2 and then re-cap with plastic caps. These could be great for competitions too, since one can achieve higher carbonation levels easier than with counter-pressure filler/Blichman beergun system, and not having yeast sediment from natural fermentations

Back