12 gram co2 cartridges

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimwright

Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently making some beer in a "Beer Machine". I know that it probably sucks but I got it as a gift and figure it will be a good/easy introduction to homebrewing.

Anyway's on to the question, the "Beer Machine" uses 8 gram "food grade" co2 cartridges. I was wondering if I modify the "carbonation unit" a bit to hold 12 gram bb gun style cartridges, if the gas in it is safe for use with my beer.

My reason for doing this is that I have a 30 pack of 12 gram cartridges from a while ago when I had a bb gun, not to mention they are cheaper to replace later on.

I'm basically just what the difference between "food grade" and "bb gun" gas is.

Thanks in advance,

-Jim Wright

I thought I read somewhere the 12 gram cartridges for the BB guns contain oil to lubricate the gun and that is the main difference between those and the food grade cartridges. I would spend the extra money rather than take the risk and ruin good homebrew.

Flyin' Lion said:
I thought I read somewhere the 12 gram cartridges for the BB guns contain oil to lubricate the gun and that is the main difference between those and the food grade cartridges. I would spend the extra money rather than take the risk and ruin good homebrew.

yeah sounds like a good idea.

Back