12 Beers of Christmas 2018 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having @biochemedic’s Honey Ginger DIPA. Big honey, and subtle ginger. Very well done, especially since it’s a DIPA.
29vb9c5.jpg

So far I've tried the crabapple lambic from @mirthfuldragon which was freaking delicious. Nice crisp sourness with a bready maltiness to round it out...I really enjoy this one, excellent job. I think I can pick up the crabapples, but not knowing what they taste like it's hard to be sure. I think they are there, subtle and well balanced with the acidity.

The Abbey Weizen from @Zimm9 - love the label. This was a really nice beer to drink. Definitely some belgian yeast phenols in there with the nice softness from the wheat. Clean and well-balanced, I could sit and down a few of these no problem.

Gruit from @November - pretty mild beer, actually a really good starter gruit for people that might be put off not knowing what to expect from the style, since it's nothing too wild. The spices come through very subtly. What yeast did you use? I made this one last year with a french saison yeast and it was way more forward with the yeast character. I think I have one or two left to do a side by side.

Caramel Quad by @BigCrazyAl - my first impression of this was burned caramel, but after a few more tastes, no, it doesn't actually taste burned or scorched, no acrid or bitter flavors, its just a really well developed dark caramel/toffee flavor. This beer is a mouthful! I feel like I can chew it. It's a slow sipper and the flavor develops as it warms in the glass, but overall I definitely enjoyed it, you brewed a nice, complex beer here.

@jerbrew and @biochemedic the goods were here when I returned from a Christmas trip this afternoon... Many thanks!

@Scturo
I dove into the Caramel Quad just before... Hopefully I will be brewing this in the next few weeks. Have my 530 ready to spin up. Have to say, I like yours a lot! A faint tootsie roll sweet to beat any high ABV heat! Did you use Mosher's 1:1 molten DME/sugar method? I always thought that sounded nuts, but if that is how you did it, I am a believer...

SCTURO.jpg

@Scturo
I dove into the Caramel Quad just before... Hopefully I will be brewing this in the next few weeks. Have my 530 ready to spin up. Have to say, I like yours a lot! A faint tootsie roll sweet to beat any high ABV heat! Did you use Mosher's 1:1 molten DME/sugar method? I always thought that sounded nuts, but if that is how you did it, I am a believer...

View attachment 604654

Glad you like it. I did use the 1:1 method. It just got a little darker than I wanted. But the taste was fine. I’d recommend making it before you start mashing, so you are not under any pressure to rush. I also mashed for 90 mins. Good luck with with your brew next year.

@Blackdirt_cowboy Damn, sorry the one leaked. Any chance it still held carb?

Thanks for the feedback, @Auger . I took 3 bottles of Abbey Weizen to the family Christmas gathering and was surprised that my dad drank 2 of them the first night. He's a bmc guy and doesn't drink much of what I make. Guess I need to brew another batch of it!

There were 5 of us trying out the 12BoC. Unfortunately, I did not take notes of the various reactions. Krampus was the unexpected fave. Only 2 of us really enjoy craft beer and I think all 5 would say stouts are not something we'd drink often, but we all agreed to open a 2nd bottle of Krampus. The Gruit was also really well-liked. A little more time and we'd have probably gotten into a 2nd bottle of that.

Due to cargo space, I had to leave the remaining bottles behind. If I get any back full I'll make sure to jot down some better feedback.

@jerbrew and @biochemedic the goods were here when I returned from a Christmas trip this afternoon... Many thanks!

@Scturo
Did you use Mosher's 1:1 molten DME/sugar method? I always thought that sounded nuts, but if that is how you did it, I am a believer...

View attachment 604654
Glad you like it. I did use the 1:1 method.

Glad everything arrived safely!

I also used the Mosher-described method of just melting and caramelizing the DME and sugar when I brewed the Quad a few seasons ago...I thought it came out well that way, although before that I would've never guessed that you could melt DME!

I was thinking about jumping into either a FotD or related trade group at some point next year. Anyone from group 2 willing to give me an itrader plug?

Going to do a big testing session on New year's Eve. I'll let you know my thoughts. If I can remember them....

I was thinking about jumping into either a FotD or related trade group at some point next year. Anyone from group 2 willing to give me an itrader plug?

Going to do a big testing session on New year's Eve. I'll let you know my thoughts. If I can remember them....

Just jump in. Folks are willing to give you a benefit of the doubt. It’s great fun, and the brew is awesome.

I am in group 2 and know you as an MS supporter so I will vouch. Just know that once you are in, you will never let yourself leave.

@Blackdirt_cowboy Damn, sorry the one leaked. Any chance it still held carb?

Thanks for the feedback, @Auger . I took 3 bottles of Abbey Weizen to the family Christmas gathering and was surprised that my dad drank 2 of them the first night. He's a bmc guy and doesn't drink much of what I make. Guess I need to brew another batch of it!

There were 5 of us trying out the 12BoC. Unfortunately, I did not take notes of the various reactions. Krampus was the unexpected fave. Only 2 of us really enjoy craft beer and I think all 5 would say stouts are not something we'd drink often, but we all agreed to open a 2nd bottle of Krampus. The Gruit was also really well-liked. A little more time and we'd have probably gotten into a 2nd bottle of that.

Due to cargo space, I had to leave the remaining bottles behind. If I get any back full I'll make sure to jot down some better feedback.

Nice, glad you enjoyed it! The beer seems to be changing fast, not sure I've ever had quite the same experience as I've cracked them opened slowly over the months.

Here are my thoughts on the beers I've tried so far. Hopefully the formatting works.

Fruitcake Old Ale (@Auger )

IMG_20181219_202021.jpeg

Appearance
Pours a deep ruby red with a 0.5” head that dissipates in about a minute.

Aroma
Spice aroma is prominent but difficult to discern individual spices. Sweet malt with a balance of fruits (raisin, fig, etc.)

Flavor
Perfect carbonation level. Malt forward transforming into slightly acidic lingering fruit flavors and a hint of spices at the end.

Overall Impression
I really love the balance of the acidity from the fruit with the sweetness if the malt and slight kick of spices. This is a delicious, well crafted, flawless and easy to drink old ale.

Gingerdead Man (@fourfarthing )

IMG_20181223_200945.jpeg

Appearance
Pours medium brown with a persistent quarter inch head.

Aroma
Sweet bready with ginger and a hint of cinnamon and other spices.

Flavor
Good carbonation. Malt forward blending smoothly into what can only be described as gingerbread cookie flavor. The cinnamon and allspice hit first followed by the spicy ginger ending with a pleasant lingering clove aftertaste.

Overall Impression
This beer is wonderfully balanced and brings back holiday memories with every sip. Perfect as a Christmas season dessert beer.

Krampus (@anotherbeerplease )

IMG_20181225_205530.jpeg

Appearance
Black as night with a caramel colored head that slowly dissipates to a thin layer after a minute or so.

Aroma
Huge chocolate, vanilla, also graham cracker. The bourbon definitely comes through too but subdued compared to the other aromas.

Flavor
Roasted coffee and chocolate blending into the mix of spices and vanilla followed by a bourbon alcohol hit that lingers pleasantly for 10-15 seconds. The finish is woody and earthy.

Overall Impression
This is the beer I was most excited to try and it didn't disappoint. This stout is pleasantly balanced for being a barrel aged monster. It is a sipping beer and one that I'll cherish until they're all gone.

I let the wife take a sip which became a few sips and I almost didn't get the glass back.

Gruit (@November )

IMG_20181228_205007.jpeg

Appearance
Pours amber with a head that dissipates quickly.

Aroma
Sweet malty aroma combined with a cool herbal blend.

Flavor
Malt forward, which I expected, transforming into a bright herbal taste/sensation that finished with a kick of cinnamon.

Interesting note: After a few sips, something in this had a numbing effect on my tongue.

Overall Impression
I haven't had a gruit before so I didn't know what to expect. It's delicious! This is quite delicate and complex, and a wonderful move away from the typical hoppy ale. My wife made me split this with her and she is going to make me brew her a gruit now.

Crabapple Lambicky (@mirthfuldragon )

IMG_20190101_203256.jpeg

Appearance
Golden yellow, slightly hazy. Head dissipates very quickly.

Aroma
Similar to a sparkling white wine or a cider. Fruity and bright.

Flavor
Tangy and tart immediately due to the pH. Bright cider fruit flavor followed by a malty and bready finish, breadier than I would expect for the color.

After a few more sips, the breadiness was almost unnoticeable allowing the fruit and sour aspects to shine.

Overall Impression
This is quite good and the first home brewed sour I've had. It is on par with some and better than most professional attempts at the style. I'd get a 6 pack (or more) of this if I could.

Last edited:
Still slowly working my way through these...

This Cranbicky Lambic is a really pretty beer! Great aroma...I think the cranberry is dominant, but I get cherry too. The combination of fruits on the palate reminds me of pomegranate. Lactic acidity is the prevailing sourness, but there is some Brett in there too, yes? The dryness is pleasant, would go great with cured meats, and probably a lot of types of cheeses too.

Really like!

20190107_190829.jpeg

Last edited:
Life is crazy, working my way through the set slowly but surely....
The trippel is brilliantly clear, love the honey golden color. The aroma is pure Belgian, a mix of sweet malt and bubblegum esters. There's a light spice in the finish that I think is the saffron? Very tasty brew!

20190121_153315.jpeg

I would like to try the spiced bourbon stouts of @gromitdj and @anotherbeerplease - If either of you are willing to ship me one of these I'd happily return the favor with a homebrew of my own. I just want to see what you guys brewed to see where I'm going to take it in 2019. Thanks

Not a problem, I've got a few left. PM me your address.

@gromitdj i just had one of your stouts earlier. When you spiced it did you use the recommended amounts in the book. If so did you use 1 whole star anise or 0.25 ground? The reason I’m asking is I’m brewing this for 2019 and I think I want to lower the anise a little bit.

@gromitdj i just had one of your stouts earlier. When you spiced it did you use the recommended amounts in the book. If so did you use 1 whole star anise or 0.25 ground? The reason I’m asking is I’m brewing this for 2019 and I think I want to lower the anise a little bit.

I spiced it exactly like the recommended recipe states, using the 1 whole star anise. The only thing I changed was that I wanted to use More Bourbon than Vodka. So, I went with 4 oz. Bourbon to 2 oz. Vodka.

Edited to add: I did crush the Star Anise pretty good. Maybe it extracted a little more flavor than if I had left it whole.

Edited again to say: I actually don't remember if I crushed the star anise or not, I know I crushed the Juniper Berries, but don't remember crushing the anise. I guess I should have wrote it down.

Last edited:
I spiced it exactly like the recommended recipe states, using the 1 whole star anise. The only thing I changed was that I wanted to use More Bourbon than Vodka. So, I went with 4 oz. Bourbon to 2 oz. Vodka.

Edited to add: I did crush the Star Anise pretty good. Maybe it extracted a little more flavor than if I had left it whole.

Edited again to say: I actually don't remember if I crushed the star anise or not, I know I crushed the Juniper Berries, but don't remember crushing the anise. I guess I should have wrote it down.

Thanks. I’m thinking of cutting the anise in half so the other spices can come through a little bit more.

I’m also planning on bumping it up to a RIS since it is xmas and who doesn’t like big beers. I might also skip the vodka and just use bourbon but soak some oak chips in it so I’ll end up with a bourbon barrel aged spiced RIS. Hopefully I’m not getting to cute here.

I would like to try the spiced bourbon stouts of @gromitdj and @anotherbeerplease - If either of you are willing to ship me one of these I'd happily return the favor with a homebrew of my own. I just want to see what you guys brewed to see where I'm going to take it in 2019. Thanks

I definitely would have shipped you one but ended up finishing the few I had left.

So this was my third year doing this swap, and I still have some beers from 2016 left. I did a vertical tasting of sorts with the Fruitcake Old Ale to compare the products of several different brewers using the same (ish) basic recipe. Below are the 2016, 2017 and 2018 fruitcake old ales, brewed by biochemedic, JDXX1971, and myself, respectively.

Here are the three beers, 2016-2018, left to right.

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

The 2016 by @biochemedic was definitely the lightest in color of the the three, with a light reddish copper color and moderate haze and a fine, white head that dissipated quickly - to be expected given the age of the beer. There was a light alcohol aroma coupled with moderate bready malt notes. No hop character of note, and the fruit aromas were there in a general, subtle way without any one specific character being prevalent.

Mouthfeel was a pretty light-bodied beer with a moderate, vinous acidity - something akin to drinking a chardonnay, which was interesting and pleasant. The fruit came forward in the flavor, with strong dark cherry and raisin notes. The vinous character persisted in the taste (in a pleasing way) and gave the beer a certain crispness to it which nicely set off the round fruit and malt flavors.

The 2017 by @JDXX1971 was definitely the darkest and biggest beer of the three. It poured very dark with beautiful ruby highlights and very good clarity. Aroma presented with strong raisiny notes followed by low levels of rich, bready malt, melanoidins and dark cherry notes.

Taste and mouthfeel...this beer was a mouthful..big, heavy and rich with dark dried fruit notes. No hop flavor or bitterness at all, to be expected, and a slight oxidation note, also somewhat expected in a beer of this age and style.

My 2018 version was sort of in between these two in most ways. It also showed very good clarity in a coppery brown color. Very strong dark fruit notes of raisin and fig up front, followed by low levels of dense bready malt. This one actually had some brighter flavors and a low amount of hop bitterness, being the youngest beer of the three.

All in all it was really interesting to contrast and compare both how our different takes on the recipe and style turned out, as well as how the different amounts of aging have affected the beers.

In a related note, by the time I finished all three of these...I was tanked. :mug:

I'm off again, so hitting the Spiced Bourbon Stout...
Thick rich reddish dark brown color, roasted aroma with hints of spice. The bourbon is evident on the finish, the spices seem well integrated, and I have a hard time picking out any one spice individually. I think a bit of nutmeg, maybe some licorice? (It was actually my stout-loving wife who picked up the licorice...) Nice job!

20190129_182812.jpeg

Thanks for the notes! The tincture had whole star anise in it, so that would be the licorice. Some have reported it might have been a little heavy handed. No nutmeg, tho...

Staying with the dark theme...the Gingerbread Ale! The bottle gushed a little, but I got it poured OK after. Thick, rocky head that took a min or so to settle. Has a malty nose with some spice. Full bodied, great malt finish, a tad sweet for my palate, but reinforces the "drinking a ginger cookie" flavor...

20190129_192806.jpeg

So, ironically after reading the above, I came on here to let Group 2 know that my last two of my Gingerbread Ale’s (not to be confused with the group 1 version above) have been gushers. Still a decent beer, but.... Please drink soon or dump as if infected I don’t want bombs on my conscience. Any dumps let me know and I will find you replacement beer.

So, ironically after reading the above, I came on here to let Group 2 know that my last two of my Gingerbread Ale’s (not to be confused with the group 1 version above) have been gushers. Still a decent beer, but.... Please drink soon or dump as if infected I don’t want bombs on my conscience. Any dumps let me know and I will find you replacement beer.
My last one of these was sadly undrinkable. I popped the cap and tried to pour it but it foamed over so much that I ended up with an oz. in my glass covered with a glass of foam and most overflowed down the drain.

Don't worry about a replacement or anything. The first 2 we're quite good! I'm not sure what caused the extra carbonation.

I got to enjoy each of the group 2 beers with friends at a party and it was a ton of fun. They were all delicious and everyone loved them. They got to see that homebrew can be really good.

Last edited:
@fourfarthing,
Are you sure it’s an infection? Mine tastes fine. Actually, really enjoyable. I do have a lot of foaming. I poured a couple inches into a glass and it foamed up about 3 inches but when it settle down I drank it. What was left in the bottle did not foam up. The next pour did the same thing; a little beer and lots of foam. Could this be something to do with nucleation sites? Maybe from the ground spices? I don’t taste an infection.

Back