12 Beers of Christmas 2018 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All labeled and ready for shipping. Homemade labels and milk, so they’re pretty basic.
11aeg4p.jpg

Group 2 address list has been distributed. There are two separate messages going out, since conversations/PMs are limited to 5 people.

On my front, the crabapple lambic has been on fruit for about six weeks. I will be tasting a sample some time this week and checking the gravity, since I blended two different fermentation strains (Gigayeast Sour Cherry Funk and Wyeast Lambic blend). Then the plan is to keg it, carb it, can it, and ship it out. Lucky for me, one of the LHBS rents out a can seamer for a reasonable cost.

Cheers to everyone.

Anyone have a preferred shipping box for this trade? Since I'll need a whole bunch of identical boxes, didn't know if past years have found a size sold by an office supply store or similar that was an ideal size.

Unfortunately guys, I have to bow out. Have had too much going on this year and just can't commit on my end. Wish I could have but with everything going on I'm out. And with this being my third attempt and fail, I have to say I'm bowing out of any future 12 BoC as well. Before too much longer I will be hitting the commercial cider scene and just won't have the time or energy to spend.

Group 2 Roll Call:

1) Caramel Quadrupel (@BigCrazyAl )
2) Spiced Cherry Dubbel (@btbnl) - posted here 2/28/18, then 5/11/18 generally
3) Spiced Dunkel Weizenbock (@Blackdirt_cowboy )

4) Juniper Rye Bock (@cmac62) - dropped out 10/23/18
5) Fruitcake Old Ale (@Auger)
6) Saffron Tripel (@Yeroc )
7) Christmas Gruit (@November)

8) Honey Ginger IPA (@Brewfessor) - last posts 12/22/17 and 9/29/18
9) Crabapple Lambicky Ale (@mirthfuldragon)
10) Gingerbread Ale (@fourfarthing )

11) Spiced Bourbon Stout (@anotherbeerplease )
12) Abbey Weizen (@Zimm9)

BOLD names
have sent me an address. Please PM me your address, and I will distribute the list.

Group conversations seem limited to 5 people, so I will use that later if necessary to confirm status.

Updated for @BigCrazyAl, @Auger, @Zimm9, @November, @fourfarthing, @Blackdirt_cowboy, @btbnl, @Yeroc, and myself.

Confirmed no: @cmac62

Address sent, thanks for organizing.

Group 2 Roll Call:

1) Caramel Quadrupel (@BigCrazyAl )
2) Spiced Cherry Dubbel (@btbnl) - posted here 2/28/18, then 5/11/18 generally
3) Spiced Dunkel Weizenbock (@Blackdirt_cowboy )

4) Juniper Rye Bock (@cmac62) - dropped out 10/23/18
5) Fruitcake Old Ale (@Auger)
6) Saffron Tripel (@Yeroc )
7) Christmas Gruit (@November)

8) Honey Ginger IPA (@Brewfessor) - last posts 12/22/17 and 9/29/18
9) Crabapple Lambicky Ale (@mirthfuldragon)
10) Gingerbread Ale (@fourfarthing )

11) Spiced Bourbon Stout (@anotherbeerplease )
12) Abbey Weizen (@Zimm9)

BOLD names
have sent me an address. Please PM me your address, and I will distribute the list.

Group conversations seem limited to 5 people, so I will use that later if necessary to confirm status.

Updated for @BigCrazyAl, @Auger, @Zimm9, @November, @fourfarthing, @Blackdirt_cowboy, @btbnl, @Yeroc, @anotherbeerplease, and myself.

Confirmed no: @cmac62

That brings Group 2 to a total of 10 active participants, with 1 confirmed no and 1 drop-out.
Note that there are TWO private address conversations, because conversations are limted to two participants.

Someone suggested sending more than 2 beers since we have less participants.

Sorry for the long silence - I unwittingly backed into leading a billion-dollar telescope project and that has been taking 36 hours a day.

Fortunately I brewed the group #2 spiced cherry dubbel well before this and it has been aging ever since. Despite using 6lb of cherry puree, I'm a bit disappointed with how muted the cherry flavor is - if I'd had the time I would have re-brewed it. However, it is what it is and that's what you'll get!

Well, that failure might be been per my poor guidance to you in this matter. As I mentioned before, my first batch of this had 15# of tart cherries in 5g and that was far too much. I see you used 6# of cherry puree. Seems like a far better amount, but I wonder how fresh cherries and puree compare? I.e., how much of that puree you used is syrup and how much is cherries?

No matter now, but perhaps these notes will help someone in the future (12BoC 2019?)

Oh yea, I'll take one of those telescopes. I'm on a personal SETI mission.

I only have enough to send out 3 beers. And I agree with @passedpawn that adding another beer would increase my shipping costs more that it worth to send 1 more beer.

I was going through my hoard of beers downstairs and found a handful of beers I received in 12BOC 2017 and 2016. I tried at least one of each one I received, but apparently got a little carried away with saving them for a later date. So yeah...three is plenty for me since its apparently taking me literally *years* to drink them all haha.

I'm not sure who in their right mind would want more than 3 bottles of Gruit. After I made this stuff, I went to my hops supply and gave it a hug.

I did the gruit last year...I only ended up with 4-5 extra bottles for myself, and I wished I had more, because I really enjoyed it...just something very different.

Group 1 still waiting on @HopHeavy to respond whether they are joining and a good address. I am going to setup two or three conversations to distribute the email I have so far. Updated List:

1. Caramel Quad - @Scturo (Confirmed)
2. Spiced Cherry Dubbel - @HawleyFarms (Dropped out)
3. Spiced Dunkel Weizenbock - @MapleGroveAleworks (Confirmed
4. Juniper Rye Bock - HopHeavy’s brother (Waiting/unknown)
5. Fruitcake Old Ale - @cegan09 (Confirmed)
6. Saffron Tripel - @TBC (Confirmed)
7. Christmas Gruit - @BradleyBrew (Confirmed)
8. Honey Ginger IPA - @biochemedic(Confirmed)
9. Crabapple Lambicky Ale - @dryboroughbrewing (Confirmed)
10. Gingerbread Ale - @jerbrew(Confirmed)
11. Spiced Bourbon Stout - @gromitdj(Confirmed)
12. Abbey Weizen - @HopHeavy (Waiting/unknown)

Hi all... My sincere apologies for the extended absence, and for the news I am about to impart. My beer failed. I had a bad summer,
a series of obligations that I won't bore anyone with, and then
a bad starter too late in the game to recover from. Then a little good news...

Pete is still in with his 12 BOC offering. So, I am still shipping his beer, regardless.

If any of you might be interested in allowing me to participate with a local, but commercial, craft brew offering, let me know. I want to make good on my fail, but I understand that this is not to specs of the swap. But it will still be a different beer! Anyway, up to you guys... Let me know.

Hi all... My sincere apologies for the extended absence, and for the news I am about to impart. My beer failed. I had a bad summer,

Pete is still in with his 12 BOC offering. So, I am still shipping his beer, regardless.

If any of you might be interested in allowing me to participate with a local, but commercial, craft brew offering, let me know. I want to make good on my fail, but I understand that this is not to specs of the swap. But it will still be a different beer! Anyway, up to you guys... Let me know.

@HopHeavy I’m fine with that. I packaged 48 beers and got labels for them and I’m already going to be shipping you beers for Pete anyway.

Appreciate the candor. I'm sorry your beer didn't turn out, I've been there!

I'm certainly okay with substituting for a local commercial beer. That would be great.

If you would, please let @jerbrew know the address to use for you and Pete.

Looking forward to your and Pete's beers!

Doing my last taste test before shipping the Group 1 Caramel Quad. 10 months old and liking the way it’s coming along. Definitely good enough to ship. No spoiler pic, but I was tempted.

I'm OK with @HopHeavy's proposition. Make 'em good ones! Something unique, something local to you, that we wouldn't be able to get anywhere else!

My monkey wrench is that I discovered last night when I came back from a work trip that my nearly brand new kegerator apparently $h!t the bed while I was away, and the inside was as warm as an incubation chamber! F-n mess, as I had two gallons of fresh cider in there, both of which decided to go off on their own and covered the bottom of the cabinet with warm, wild fermented cider! Fortunately, I think it's still under warranty (I hope!), and I am still on track with a backup plan -- should be able to keg and carb in my bar fridge...had keg bottled the Fruitcake Old Ale from there during a past 12 BOC...

The batch I was concerned about isn't carbing in the bottles. Thankfully the other batch is drinkable and hopefully enjoyably so! My sister-in-law really liked it and the rest of my family thought it was decent. It's been awhile since I've bottle conditioned so I don't remember if this is normal...the carbonation is big bubbles.

I might not get them shipped until the weekend after Thanksgiving but they're ready to label and box up soon as I have some time.

Back