• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

New York 10gal mash kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hourglass

Reaction score
This is a really nice used custom stainless 40 qt polarware kettle. Welded fittings includes sight glass, temp gauge, 3/8" ss ball valve with ss hose barb, mash screen, and custom lid with viewing hole and center hole for sparge arm. 16"H x 14" W.
The drain hole is located at the bottom side of the kettle so no drain tube gets in the way of the mash.

Didn't realize i couldn't list as "best offer". I could be way off but considering the price of new comparable ss pots with these options and the quality of this item the price is $299......OBO ;)

image-488745324.jpg

image-711856779.jpg

image-2925208593.jpg

image-30316384.jpg

Will the OP tell me how his sight glass functioned attached to his ball valve? This may be my only option but I have been warned against it.

Its actually been a long time since i've used this pot. I believe opening the valve will affect the level in the tube. When using a pump it was a usefull gage of the flow to the pump.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Will the OP tell me how his sight glass functioned attached to his ball valve? This may be my only option but I have been warned against it.

This configuration makes it very difficult to use a pump with. You can only pump out and in at a very slow rate, to fast out of the kettle and it will pull air in through the sight glass and the pump will lose its prime, to fast in and it will overflow out the sight glass. I had to watch it like a hawk to prevent it from happening. I bought (3) 15 gallon kettle with the same exact set up (so much so that I'd guess they were made by the same welder..?) Used it once and I bought 3/8 SS caps and covered them and put in new bottom drain ports and use them only as sight glasses. FWIW I bought the (3) 15 gallon kettles with 2 lids and 2 false bottoms and a few male cam-lock fitting for $400.

runs4beer said:
This configuration makes it very difficult to use a pump with. You can only pump out and in at a very slow rate, to fast out of the kettle and it will pull air in through the sight glass and the pump will lose its prime, to fast in and it will overflow out the sight glass. I had to watch it like a hawk to prevent it from happening. I bought (3) 15 gallon kettle with the same exact set up (so much so that I'd guess they were made by the same welder..?) Used it once and I bought 3/8 SS caps and covered them and put in new bottom drain ports and use them only as sight glasses. FWIW I bought the (3) 15 gallon kettles with 2 lids and 2 false bottoms and a few male cam-lock fitting for $400.

I used a pump speed controller so regulating the output was never a problem, not sure if a valve on the pump output would do the same. Sounds like you got a great deal on the pots although no temp fittings, guages, or site glasses. Please share where you got them.

Thanks

Right, if I closed it off to a VERY slow flow with a ball valve I could prevent that from happening so maybe for a direct fire gravity drain mash tun it would be OK but I was unable to maintain mash temps using a HERMS coil.
Not tiring to derail you sale...
I did get a good deal that included dial thermometer, sight glass and ball valve... When I say that they look the same I mean they are exactly the same right down to the Watts ball valves, the way the top of the sight glass is held in place, the FB held up with SS hardware... no question about it they were made by the same person.
I don't know who that was because I got mine at least 3ed hand from a friend in my club. I think he bumped in to someone in Captain Lawrence's tasting room who unloaded them at the same price that I bought them for which makes me think he bought them used too. If you were to make them to sell a 15 gallon Vollrath kettle new is just under $200 (10 gallon are only $15-$20 less) F.B. plus labor and other parts would bring it up to about $300-$350 to make one. And we now know that these were more then one off...
Good luck with your sale, If you want to join a great club (where members sell stuff cheep) The Who

runs4beer said:
Right, if I closed it off to a VERY slow flow with a ball valve I could prevent that from happening so maybe for a direct fire gravity drain mash tun it would be OK but I was unable to maintain mash temps using a HERMS coil.
Not tiring to derail you sale...
I did get a good deal that included dial thermometer, sight glass and ball valve... When I say that they look the same I mean they are exactly the same right down to the Watts ball valves, the way the top of the sight glass is held in place, the FB held up with SS hardware... no question about it they were made by the same person.
I don't know who that was because I got mine at least 3ed hand from a friend in my club. I think he bumped in to someone in Captain Lawrence's tasting room who unloaded them at the same price that I bought them for which makes me think he bought them used too. If you were to make them to sell a 15 gallon Vollrath kettle new is just under $200 (10 gallon are only $15-$20 less) F.B. plus labor and other parts would bring it up to about $300-$350 to make one. And we now know that these were more then one off...
Good luck with your sale, If you want to join a great club (where members sell stuff cheep) The Who

I did use it as a gas fired mash tun with a pump for recirculating and pumping up to the boil kettle. Building a herms system now. I was a member of Northern Westchester Homebrew Association for many many years. Now that i'm quitting the "day job" i got time to brew again!!!!!! U ever go to dicicos in brewster? Or holy smoke? As far as the sale i really dont care but was hoping for some "reasonable offer".

integra93ls said:
I'm right in putnam valley. R u part of any groups?

I was a member of the NWHA northrrn westchester homebrew assoc for many many years. Te club met at Brodies in mohegan lake every month. Ever go to holy smaoke or decicos in brewster (decicos is better).

I have been to holy smoke many times. There party for summer is a blast. U check out birdsall house n peekskill brewery? There is a club in peekskill now that just started a yr ago.

integra93ls said:
I have been to holy smoke many times. There party for summer is a blast. U check out birdsall house n peekskill brewery? There is a club in peekskill now that just started a yr ago.

Yep birdsall very cool, holy smoke a bit pricy and carbonation is off a bunch a times i,ve been there. Peekskill brewery just had there grand opening although i missed it. Wats the info on the peekskill club? You a member?

Yes holysmoke is very pricey n there have been times the beer has tasted old or the lines r not cleaned good. Peekskill brewery is nice I have been to the new place like 3 times already. Anyway the new club meets on the 1st Mon of the month at birdsall house. Actually we are having a 1yr party at peekskill brewery on the 11th. If your interested in going and joining the club shoot me a pm and ill get u the info u need. I can bring u as a guest to the party . Let me know

So you both must Ed G.
Anyway, The Who is very activity; bulk grain buys every month via Capt. Lawrence. Join and hit the meeting and enjoy.

integra93ls said:
Yes holysmoke is very pricey n there have been times the beer has tasted old or the lines r not cleaned good. Peekskill brewery is nice I have been to the new place like 3 times already. Anyway the new club meets on the 1st Mon of the month at birdsall house. Actually we are having a 1yr party at peekskill brewery on the 11th. If your interested in going and joining the club shoot me a pm and ill get u the info u need. I can bring u as a guest to the party . Let me know

Thanks for the invite. I may be away from the 6th-14th if not i'll definately go.

[email protected]

Just let me know ASAP cuz we have to give a head count bye Monday. I believe the only thing is its $28 per person for food and a special tour of the brewery .

Is the pot still available ? I'll give you $100 for it and I'm right in Brewster.

mtrogers14 said:
Is the pot still available ? I'll give you $100 for it and I'm right in Brewster.

Thanks for the offer. I recently installed a 1/2 ss weldless fitting with, ss ball valve, and capped the site glass with a ss elbow and plug so i would need $150. I'm going to brew a batch or two and may just keep it. Let me know if you would consider $150. Do you ever go to dichiccos in brewster?

Steve

image-3548858853.jpg

image-2527053690.jpg

To wilser Please have the courtesy to mind your own business and not get involved in someone else's conversation. .........."sheesh"

And yes Steve I LOVE Deciccios. I go there all the time. It's my little slice of heaven.

Back