10gal cooler MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireRescueFL

Reaction score
I built a cooler so I can go AG and my first batch wasn't very efficient (big surprise! :tank: ). I followed the instructions from a popular thread here and did it pretty much as instructed. For separating the grains from the wort, I used the mesh tubing method which said to use 12" or more. I found a 20" tube and went with that. I made a nice curl with it since I figured I would get a better all around flow instead of just a straight line across the diameter of the tun. I couldn't figure out how to secure it to keep it from moving around but after I remove my grains, it didn't appear to have moved at all so I'm assuming that my lack of efficiency isn't from a path of least resistance issue with it being up against the wall.

Anyway, here's some shots of my tun. What do you think? Should I just go with the straight line method instead of the curl?

---Chris

IMG_4476.JPG

IMG_4479.JPG

IMG_4480.JPG

Sorry I don't have an answer but I'm fixing to build a 10 gal cooler MLT and I'm wondering: how much was that HD cooler and how well did it hold temps during the mash?

betting that your low efficiency doesn't have anything to do with your SS braided tube. What was your mash temp, and did you hold it, and how did you sparge? Also would be thinking about what the crush looked like. Temp/Sparge/Crush are usually the normal culprits for low efficiency.

The cooler was like $39 at Home Depot and I think the hardware was around another $20. It held 14lbs of grain constant for over 60 min with zero drop in temp.

I had a constant 154* mash for 60min. Mashout with 180* water and the mash temp only rose to 160*. I Fly Sparged with 170* water until I had 6.5 gallons in the brewpot.

The wort showed a gravity of 1.072 @ 154* prior to the mashout and tasted very sweet, making me think I had a good conversion going. OG target was 1.070 @ 65* and post boil I only had 1.052 @ 80*.

I have another thread going about the crush of the grain because I wanted to keep all the variables separated so there's not too much confusion. It seems that my lautering may be the culprit. What are the odds that my braid got pushed up against the wall while I was mashing in and created a path of least resistance for the sparge water to get out of the MLT? If my crush turns out to be ok, this is the only thing I can think of. That, or my design is just flawed with the curl and needs to be changed.

---Chris

I use pretty much the same setup (I got the Bargain Fittings conversion kit), the MLT holds the mash temperature to a loss of maybe 3 degrees F in an hour's mash, and no matter what style of beer, I always hit my OG right in the range. I would move on to check the crush on your grain if you're coming up short.

I would look at you sparging technique. I'm not a pro but I usually end up in the 72-75% efficiency range with batch sparging using the same set up except with a large bazooka screen right down the middle. not sure what type of efficiency you were planning on? my first batch with that set up i ended up with just under 60% and have tweaked it just slightly to what it is now.

also, like mhumm1 suggested the grain crush can have a big impact on efficiency.

good luck though

Stainless mesh manifolds are best suited to batch sparging, IMO. Give it a try, I recently switched to batch sparging and can't believe I fly sparged for so long. I'm getting better and more consistent extractions and saving time to boot.

Another possible contributing factor to low efficiency is an inability to precisely measure volume. For help on this point see the write up in my signature on graduating carboys.

Stainless mesh manifolds are best suited to batch sparging, IMO. Give it a try, I recently switched to batch sparging and can't believe I fly sparged for so long. I'm getting better and more consistent extractions and saving time to boot.

I'm going to do that. I've been fly sparging with my partial mash brews with good results so that's why I did it on this brew. I'm gonna try batch next and see how the numbers change.

We've pretty much figured out from my other thread that a large portion of my problem is in the grain crush. My LHBS isn't even coming close to an appropriate crush.

A little confused about this... You had a 1.072 OG @ 154*F?

Yep, that's why I thought my problem was in the lautering process. The wort was at the gravity I was shooting for before sparging but was WAY low afterwards once I reached my boil volume. Again, making me think I had a path of least resistance for the sparge water to just run right through the MLT into the boil kettle.

The wort was at the gravity I was shooting for before sparging but was WAY low afterwards once I reached my boil volume. Again, making me think I had a path of least resistance for the sparge water to just run right through the MLT into the boil kettle.

How did you figure out what your target gravity should be before the sparge? Also if you are using a hydrometer the 1.07.. reading is more like 1.09.. at 154*

I think you have more a math issue than a flaw in equipment or materials.

What should have been your pre-boil gravity 1.070 or is that for post boil?

I think you have more a math issue than a flaw in equipment or materials.

Personally, I think it is a combination of math and equipment.

On the math side, you can't really look at the gravity of your first runnings and determine that you are on track to hit your designed pre-boil gravity. The gravity of those first-runnings is going to be directly correlated to your liquor:grain ratio. If you mashed really thick, the initial gravity will be higher, but you will require more sparge water (which over time, will dilute you down to your target pre-boil gravity). If you mash thinner, the gravity of the first runnings will be lower, but you will require less sparging - so the diluting will be less drastic. In other words, the gravity reading of your first runnings was pretty much pointless. On the other hand, it is a nice practice to take a gravity reading of your last runnings, because the literature says you really want to stop the sparge once you are collecting a wort between 1.008 and 1.014, for fear of the pH getting out of whack - which has been reported to lead to issues of astringency and tannin extraction.

If I had to advise a math strategy for your first several AG batches, I would say to build a recipe at 70% efficiency, conduct your mash and sparge as planned, collect your designed pre-boil volume, and then take an accurate gravity reading of the full wort volume. There is no way you can guess what kind of efficiency your system will output until you brew on it several times, but an estimate of 70% is a nice compromise. Odds are, you will be somewhere between 60-80%, so even if your gravity is off (and the only way it won't be "off" is pure luck), the batch will not be a bust. Once a trend forms, you can account for your efficiency on future grain bills, and really dial in your target gravity through recipe formation.

On the equipment side, the single braid is really not you best bet for a fly sparge. It will work, but it is not the best choice from a fluid dynamics stand point or in my experience, a durability stand point. There is a great section in the appendix of the on-line version of How to Brew about manifold designs and flow potential. Palmer explains better than I can, so here is the link.

http://howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixD-1.html

If you want to continue the fly sparge method, I really suggest maximizing the design of your lauter system. A slotted manifold is great, and in a round cooler, (IMO) a false bottom is even better. I know it is hard to pass up on the $1.50 braided toilet supply option, but in the long run, you will be happy you upgraded.

If interested, here is a false bottom for your 10G cooler.

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/product/0102039/ss-false-bottom-12-in-diameter

I know $40 is a lot for such a specialty item, but I am so happy I switched to this product. As someone who has used a braid, a braided manifold, and now a false bottom, I can say from experience that the false bottom is head and shoulders above your current choice. It doesn't float, flop, twist, crimp, etc. It is simply the perfect design for seperating grain and wort during the lauter. Take a look below at the picture of my tun with the upgraded false bottom. What looks to you like a more capable medium of maximizing flow potential through the grain bed? What design looks more apt to fail - a ridgid stainless steel false bottom, or a floppy braid? I've seen the braid work fine for a batch sparge technique, but during a continuous sparge, you really expose its shortcomings.

In summary, I agree with the tone of your other thread as well - your crush is suspect. At the same time, it is only one of the many variables you need to consider in your process. You will have to combine an ideal crush (notice, I did not say an over-crush) with a well conducted lauter if you really want to obtain consistency from batch to batch.

Joe

inside tun .jpg

Back