1057 for red ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karbinator

Reaction score
I have a Brewers Best kit sitting around that's
supposed to make Red ale. The kit came with
the typical dry yeast that's not specific to
any type. However, I do have a smack pack
of Wyeast 1057 american ale yeast sitting
in the back of the fridge, and was curious
If I could use this instead.
THanks for any help....

Karb

I don't see any reason why you couldn't...i alway prefer liquid yeast to dry yeast...but then again, you may want to follow the recipe if this is your first time brewing it and then tweak it later. You could always just make a yeast starter if your worried about the yeast being a bit old....

Can you clarify on the dry yeast type? It might the perfect choice for the beer.

Also, do you mean 1056? I have never seen 1057. If it is 1056, that would be a good choice for an American red ale. If it an Irish red, you might want something that will leave a bit more residual sweetness.

karbinator said:
You're correct, it is the 1056 american Ale Wyeast.

The dry pack is Nottinghams.

Nottingham would be an excellent dry yeast choice for an Irish red, IMO. Wyeast 1056 would be an excellent choice for an American red, IMO.

So, I am no help, either way I think you will be happy.

Yeah, It all comes down to what flavor profile you want in your final beer. Both yeasts will work well but they showcase different flavors in the beer. I am a big fan of American red ales so I say go with the 1056! :D

Back