1001 fg for Apfelwein. Whoops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eckythump

Reaction score
Just bottled my first EdWort Apfelwein. I Capped half for carbonation, and wine bottled the other half. When I was done, I checked the hydrometer reading. 1001 fg. Whoops? That seems a few points high for wine. What does a bottle bomb look like in a corked wine bottle? Hopefully just the cork pushed out.

I pitched a skeeter pee on top of the lees. Pretty excited to see how both of these batches turn out.

What yeast? And how long has it been fermenting? I get 1001 with ale yeast for apfelwein.

if the bottles are vertical bottle bombs look like uncorked bottles of wine. If the bottles are on their side (after about 3 days you do this and leave them there to keep the corks moist) then bottle bombs look like uncorked bottles of about 1/3 filled with wine and a spill of wine on the floor. if the corks can't get free then boom.

and yes I had an unfinished wine once push out the cork and spill on the floor.

if the bottles are vertical bottle bombs look like uncorked bottles of wine. If the bottles are on their side (after about 3 days you do this and leave them there to keep the corks moist) then bottle bombs look like uncorked bottles of about 1/3 filled with wine and a spill of wine on the floor. if the corks can't get free then boom.

Hahaha. A sense of humor drier than apfelwein. I like it.

Back