100+ year old rhizome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rambler

Reaction score
Someone has just offered to cut me some clippings from thier hop vine which his familly has been tending for over 100 years. The question is: Will the age of the vine have any effect on the flavor of the hops?

based on what i know about plants in general, i would guess that the plant may not grow as vigorously as it did 100 years ago, but the taste will be very close to the original taste.

I would think that if you provide proper soil (nutrients, fertilizer, etc) for the plant, it should be just fine. It's pretty cold where I live yet and my hops plant is taking off pretty quick. Grew a foot in a week. Granted, the rhizome isn't 100 years old (don't know), but nonetheless, hops do grow quickly. I agree with dog; I doubt the flavor will change much, if at all, over time.

I listened to a hops related podcast from Basic Brewing Radio recently where they stated that hops lose their potency as the vines age or go through several generations.

Not a very scientific explanation, but this is what I recall them saying.

He brought some hops over with him the last time i brewed and they seemed to be ok. They definitely werent very potent but this could have been because of the way they were stored.

I guess either way they would be worth having. Just the fact of thier age makes it kind of a novelty to use. I could make an antique pale ale.

It'd be a shame to not try this. Give it a go. If you don't, you'll always wonder.

Guess these are maybe Cluster. Can't recall other old American hops. Anyone?

Its hard to say what they are. They came from a ranch in a very old part of Nevada. I dont think i'll ever find out. I have no idea what varieties grow naturally around here or where these ones were brought from. I hope they are some transplants from Germany or something. The ones he brought over smelled very floral and spicy, not too bitter or oily so I would imagine the alphas are pretty low.

He just gave me some clippings today and I'm headed out to plant them now.

Back