100% Wheat Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I've been thinking about doing a 100% wheat beer, and since I've got a good culture of White Labs WLP-830 German Lager Yeast going, I figured this could be very interesting. I bought some of the different wheat specialty malts I could find, including Dark Wheat Malt (8 L) - I'm wondering how close this is to a "Munich" type of treatment?, CaraWheat (40 L), and Chocolate Wheat (350 L). I'm shooting for something like an American Dark Lager, but with more flavor and bitterness. Here's the recipe. I'm throwing at least a pound of rice hulls in the mash as well.

#69 Wheat Lager
A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------
04-A Dark Lager, Dark American Lager
Min OG: 1.044 Max OG: 1.056
Min IBU: 8 Max IBU: 20
Min Clr: 14 Max Clr: 22 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.50
Anticipated OG: 1.054 Plato: 13.28
Anticipated SRM: 18.9
Anticipated IBU: 33.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------
Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.47 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.046 SG 11.37 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------
Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.
Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager
Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
76.2 8.00 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2
14.3 1.50 lbs. Dark Wheat Malt Germany 1.039 8
4.8 0.50 lbs. CaraWheat Germany 1.035 40
4.8 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Wheat Malt America 1.029 350

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Magnum Pellet 13.60 29.9 60 min.
0.50 oz. Mt. Hood Pellet 4.20 2.5 15 min.
0.50 oz. Mt. Hood Pellet 4.20 1.5 5 min.

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP830 German Lager

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Multi Step
Grain Lbs: 10.50
Water Qts: 14.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 3.50 - Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.33 - Before Additional Infusions
Acid Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Protein Rest Temp : 122 Time: 15
Intermediate Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Saccharification Rest Temp : 152 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 15
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 45
Total Mash Volume Gal: 4.34 - Dough-In Infusion Only
All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Can wheat convert itself? I would throw in some 2-row (25-30%) to be sure if not for some kind of maltiness.

What can convert itself.

Very interesting idea, I look forward to hearing the results. I have considered making a wheat lager (70/30) for the summer months.

Good call on the protein rest and the rice hulls. I might be inclined to use even more rice hulls, at least have some on hand.

wheat has a higher diastatic power than 2-row:

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Pro...lts.htm#TwoRow

AT LEAST a pound of rice hulls...

i've been thinking about doing a wheat SMaSH for a while. interested to see how this one turns out!

+1 on all of that. wheat has excellent enzyme activity but no hulls for a sparge get a lot of rice hulls you'll need them. a protein rest might also be a good idea especially for a lager which is normal very clear.

I've considered making an all wheat hefeweizen. I personally enjoy the malty, flourlike flavor in Widmer, and wouldn't mind kicking it up a notch. Let us know how the wheat lager works out.

We'll see how it goes. I bought the grain today. The pound of rice hulls should do it. I've never had any problems with sparging my hefeweizen, which is about 2/3rds wheat. I just plan on going really slow on the sparge.

I tasted the dark wheat. It has an interesting flavor. Definitely more melanoidin character than the plain wheat malt. I wouldn't say it's exactly like Munich malt, but there are similarities. I should be able to get to this one next weekend.

I'm getting around to this beer right now. It will be another midnight brew. The amount of rice hulls is now 2 lbs in with the grain. I'm mashing in as soon as strike water heats up.

Protien rest...

2 lbs is alot of rice hulls. I don't think I should have a problem with the mash sticking, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. Heating up water to infuse to sac rest.

That's a traditional German Hefeweizen. The law requires at least 50%. I'm doing it just to see what happens. I've never tasted a 100% wheat beer before. I found some other specialty grains that were wheat malts but not base malt and I figured it could be interesting.

I didn't want to do it as a Hefeweizen because I know what it tastes like. I could have done it with a regular ale yeast, but I already had some WLP-830 lager yeast going so I figured it could be even more interesting.

Bringing everything to a boil now. The sparge went fine. Nothing stuck. The aroma is definately different from barley beers. Very bready, which is kinda obvious. With the darker versions of the malt, especially the chocolate wheat, there is a chocolaty aroma from the wort, almost like chocolate cake.

All done.

1.051 OG with 71% efficiency. I figured it was going to be lower than usual.

It is a dark amber/light brown color and has a toasty flavor. It's evenly bittered. Tasting the unfermented wort, there's nothing right now that's jumping out and saying "That's really different." We'll see once it's feremented. I'll pitch in the morning once it's had a chance to cool down to 48ºf.

I kegged this beer up tonight. If I had to put it into a style it would be similar to an American Dark Lager, but with a touch of roasted character, or maybe an American Brown Ale, but on the dry side and done with lager yeast. Flavor-wise it tastes similar to wheat toast with just a hint of the roasted character from the Chocolate Wheat coming through.

If I was to make this again, I'd bump the Cara-Wheat up to 0.75 lb. and cut the Chocolate Wheat down to 0.25 lb. I might change my mind on that once it gets carbed up and is in the keg another month.

Wow.. sounds great! I was wanting to do a wheat wine with 100% wheat very soon. I've heard that the wheat will darken with time, and at 10%+ I shouldn't need to darken it too much. What would you advise? Dark wheat? Carawheat?

I missed this thread prior to now. Great idea! I've been meaning to try a Wheat SMaSH sometime. I will definitely be following your lead on the uber-rice-hull usage! :D

Glad it's tastin' good, can't wait to hear back once it's fully carbed!

Wow.. sounds great! I was wanting to do a wheat wine with 100% wheat very soon. I've heard that the wheat will darken with time, and at 10%+ I shouldn't need to darken it too much. What would you advise? Dark wheat? Carawheat?
If color is what you want, the Chocolate wheat is the way to go. Be gentle with it. I used a half pound and it's a dark amber/brown color. I'll post a picture once it's all carbed up and I pour a pint. I'd only use a couple ounces. I can't really taste the Carawheat in there yet, but again, the sample I had was only from the hydrometer. Right now I'd up the percentage of Carawheat if I was making it again
I missed this thread prior to now. Great idea! I've been meaning to try a Wheat SMaSH sometime. I will definitely be following your lead on the uber-rice-hull usage! :D

Glad it's tastin' good, can't wait to hear back once it's fully carbed!
The amount of rice hulls was plenty. I had a full 2 pounds and it was probably a bit overkill. If I make something again I'll try a little less. Although, if you are prone to stuck sparges, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Back