100 percent aromatic malt? Munich?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

somedudefromguam

Reaction score
Has anyone used 100 percent aromatic malt in their grist? How about 100 percent Munich 20? I actually experimented with the Munich 20 on a small scale and could not get a negative starch test, so matched the munich with 2 row and finally converted.
I am trying to experiment with base malts, I wanna make something super malty like an Octoberfest. The brew with 50% Munich and 50% 2 row was not nearly as malty flavored as any good Octoberfest I have had... I did generously hop it and used cali yeast, maybe that threw off the malty flavors...
Thanks!! l:u)

Though I haven't personally tried it, it's my understanding that you can use up to 80% Munich provided that the balance is something with a high diastatic power such as 2 row.

You can totally use 100% Munich malt. I've used 100% of the 10 L Munich from weyermann.

You'll need a German lager yeast to help accentuate the maltiness you are looking for in an Oktoberfest style. Also bitter modestly (~25 - 30 ibus) and be extremely light on the late hops. Think two ounces of nobles at 60 and 0.5 at 5 min. This will help keep the malt forward.

Funk

Both Munich and aromatic should self-convert. I think it was Ohiobrewtus that posted a few years ago about a 100% aromatic malt SMaSH. It converted just fine.

For a great Oktoberfest, it's important to use a "malty" German lager yeast- I like the German bock yeast strain from Wyeast. No late hops to speak of, and pretty soft water.

...How about 100 percent Munich 20? I actually experimented with the Munich 20 on a small scale and could not get a negative starch test...

Who made your Munich 20? (i.e., the Maltster) They are NOT all the same...I think Briess Munich 20 is really a crystal malt.

You should have no problem with 100% Weyermann Munich

According to BrewWiki, Munich malt has a diastatic power of about 72, Munich 10L about 50 and Munich 20L about 25.

From memory, you need a Lintner number of greater than 30 to get full conversion.

Assuming these numbers are correct, you would not expect full conversion of 100% Munich 20L.

Both Munich and aromatic should self-convert. I think it was Ohiobrewtus that posted a few years ago about a 100% aromatic malt SMaSH. It converted just fine.

For a great Oktoberfest, it's important to use a "malty" German lager yeast- I like the German bock yeast strain from Wyeast. No late hops to speak of, and pretty soft water.

I had the pleasure of having OB's Aromatic Smash. Hopped with Cascades - it was like an Amber Ale. Very nicely done - tons of complexity despite the single malt.

I've done 100% Munich twice (both Weyerman 10L) and they came out great (hence the rebrew). If you can swing the Kolsch yeast (WLP029 or WY2565) at low temperatures, you can pseudo-approximate a lager. It will at least help accentuate the malt-dominance of the beer.

Back