100 ibu's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmaddux

Reaction score
I just made an ipa and the recipe says it will end up with 100 ibu's. Thats high I think right?
It calls for a secondary and to dry hop while in the secondary. If I leave that dry hop out will it decrease the ibu's?
Btw per recipe the og is 1080 and will end at 1016. I think this is just bragging beer or could I be wrong?

100 IBU with a 1.080 beer sounds just damn fine to me. Dry hopping adds no bitterness, just aroma.

Yes 100 IBU is extremely hoppy. Although almost all of it is from the boil. Dry hopping will not affect bitterness much.. mainly aroma.

I made a Hoptimum clone, 100 IBU's, I made a few adjustments though...I took the 60 min bittering hops and moved half of those hops to the 20 min flavoring hops to make it easier to enjoy by all, it still has 100 IBU's and tastes amazing!!!

Once you get to high IBUs, it becomes a crap-shoot as to what you really have.

- Do you really get that hop utilization,
- Can you detect it if you can (I think human detection runs around 100 IBUs max).
- You loose a lot during fermentation, do you know how much you lose?
- Partial boils reduce the max IBUs you can get. I don't believe the 100 IBUs some folks say, but it will be less than a full boil.

Dry hopping has no impact on IBUs.

Back