100% Brett Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Getting ready to use the Bootleg Biology Funk Weapon #3 in a week or two. I would like to make a big enough starter to pitch a healthy amount of yeast and save the other half for later use. This will be my first starter so looking for some help on how to do this.

1. Funk Weapon #3 is all Brett and I will not be pitching any Sacc yeast with it. This will be 100% brett fermentation.

2. OG of recipe is 1.062

3. I do not have a stir plate. My plan is to do this in a growler, keep it covered with foil, and shake it up occasionally.

Here are my questions...

1. A growler is only 1.9L. Will I even be able to make a starter big enough to pitch half and store half?

2. Do I have to step this up from a small starter and work my way up to final volume, or if my goal is to 1.5L of starter, can I make 1.5L right off the bat?

3. How much DME do I need for this?

Thanks for the help. Trying to do some reading to figure this out on my own but haven't figured it out yet.

I was thinking about this a bit and reading. Would the below steps work to get me what I need for a 100% brett starter...

1. I'll use 2 growlers instead of 1, to solve the capacity issue.
2. Boil 100g DME for a 1L starter
3. Let starter ride in growler for 1 week.
4. Split the starter and pour half into the 2nd growler
5. Boil up another 100g of DME for another 1L starter
6. Pour half of this new wort into each growler
7. Lets starters go another week
8. Pitch entire 1L starter

Does this seem to make sense?
If I'm using this in a 80%/20% Golden promise/flaked oats recipe, am I ok to pitch entire 1L or should I cold crash and decant?

Thanks.

Back