100% Brett IPA with funk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
This is my second time brewing the 100% Brett IPA from The Mad Fermentationist. The first time I used the Brett Trois mentioned in the recpice, which I know really isn't Brett, but this time I used some dregs built up from a bottle of Crooked Stave Hop Savant (100% Brett). The first time it was a fruit bomb as mentioned in the tasting notes on his page, but with the Crooked Stave dregs, holy moly, it's like a completely different beer. Smell is fruit as before, but taste is dominated with funk, slight bitterness and some mango/pineapple notes. This is the kind of funk I've been wanting to get out of my saison brett beers, but have never achieved. I really thought 100% brett fermentations were suppose to be fruit dominant so I was quite shocked to get funk. My question is how? Is it just the special brett from crooked stave or what?

EDIT: Funk was there after only 10 days, kegged at the 3 week mark.

I think it's strain dependent. It could also relate to pitch rate. How much did you build up the dregs?

Is the funk too much, or are you happy with the character? I've been thinking about culturing some hop savant. Can you describe the funk a bit more?

I pitched quite a bit. Started with a 200ml starter from 1 bottle of dregs and let it go for a week, then bumped it up to 1 liter for a week, then finally 2 liters. All on a stir plate. I'm pleasantly surprised with the flavor. It's still carbonating now so I'll report back on more specific flavors next week.

Back